Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

996 1999-convertible-wont-open-roof-all-way?

Hi all,

A friend of mine bought himself a 996 4 Convertible recently. Just before the deal was done the roof started playing up and it stops when it is up 90 degrees in the air and won't budge going down all the way.

It closes and reopens to that point no problems?

We checked handbrake and engine lid switches as well as disconnecting the battery over night. Didn't help.

Is this a common problem?

Did someone had this before and how was it fixed?

Does it need to be connected to a system tester to "relearn" its

Limit switches or something?

Any help would be highly appreciated.

Thanks and best regards

Marty

Just a quick though, the soft top uses a hydraulic pump to open/close it's not uncommon for it to leak and loose fluid or just randomly run low?

The latter (low fluid) seems to be the some what easiest to solve, it involves actually using a syringe to inject fluid back into the pump!

I'm not totally sure on this fix but there is lot's of info in the DIY section if you do a search.

Hope this helps

I also have a 1999 C4 Cabriolet. Just a month ago, I had a similar problem. The top would open and close slower and would just stop about half way. I would have the help it close and open by pulling or pushing the top. I ordered Porsche hydraulic fluid and added it per the DIY directions. The fluid level was low and the repair was easy. The tops works great again. Total price about $40 for the fluid. I am not mechanically inclined, so if I can do it anyone can.

Good luck.

Eric

Just a quick though, the soft top uses a hydraulic pump to open/close it's not uncommon for it to leak and loose fluid or just randomly run low?

The latter (low fluid) seems to be the some what easiest to solve, it involves actually using a syringe to inject fluid back into the pump!

I'm not totally sure on this fix but there is lot's of info in the DIY section if you do a search.

Hope this helps

Two things to check. As mentioned, make sure the hydraulic fluid level is good.

Also, make sure the little side flaps are moving up and down. Sometimes they get stuck and need to have their screw drives greased.

Each microswitch triggers the next motion of the top in sequence, so if one piece isn't moving, it will time out and stop the entire chain of events that continues to close the top.

• 3 weeks later...

I am also having a roof problem which sounds like the DIY hydaulic fix. The rear deck lid opens, and front latches release but no roof movement. Have been hearing nasty noises from the mechanism the last couple of open/closes.

Following all the information I have stripped the carpet out for the DIY hydraulic fill and can see fluid about half way up the reservoir, but quick question. Which allen screw needs removal? The one in the center between the red/blue cables or one of the 2 smaller screws on the side of the unit (passenger side)? The center screw appears very stiff. Just squirted some WD40 and waiting to see if it loosens.

Thanks

Mark

Finally completed with success - thanks for the DIY.

Comments:

For first timers please circle the specific hex nut - I know it's OTT but it helps. For me the rear facing hex screw was the only one that would not free easily.

I recommend finding a long allen key or something with a grip similar to the Porsche unit used to lock down the hardtop (not standard 2" long unit). For me locking pliers on the end of the allen key provided sufficient leverage.

It takes more than 30 minutes the first time. For me it took 15 mins from start to having the carpet removed. 24 hours to free the hex screw after leaving WD40 on overnight and a day thinking about how to increase leverage (after hitting with rubber mallet, hammer, etc all failed). About 20 minutes to fill the reservoir with a 5ml syringe (free from a CVS pharmacist who was intriged with what I was trying to do) and the flexi-tube from my 2 year old's sippy cup - took 15 squirts and extreme care with towels and kitchen roll to avoid spilling hydraulic fluid. Then 15 minutes more to reassemble the carpet after first reconnecting the rear deck cover to confirm roof functionality.

I also stuffed kitchen roll below the fill hole and around the red/blue flexi-pipes to capture drips and removed the washer before starting to keep it safe.

Thanks

Mark

• 8 months later...

soo... the hydraulic fluid doesn't go in the back by the engine where the cap says ' hydraulic fluid'?

i've a 2000 911 cab that just this weekend (since the weather is beautiful) decided to stop going down.

thought this would be an easy fix.

being a girl..i'm not that up on the manly DIY fixes listed above. was hoping to simply unscrew the cap and

pour some pentosin chf 11s hydraulic oil in. bad idea?

Michelle,

The fix is easy (even for a non-mechanical guy like me), but it's not as simple as unscrewing a cap. Make sure you have a large syringe that is attached to a rubber tube with a very small width. the tube can't be more than 1/4 inch in diameter. You will actually see the plastic holding container filling up with the hydraulic fluid.

Eric