Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I recently had my IMS bearing replaced (LNE product), RMS and clutch (disk/pressure plate/throwout bearing) + oil change -- for about $2700 (including labor, parts & tax).

I think Porsche should have given owners better support on this. Obviously, their solution was the 997.2 engine.

On the other hand, when you look at the service requirements and costs for other (genuine) high performance cars, $2700 is a drop in the bucket. We have tended to become so accustomed to Porsche reliability that people buy these expecting to get the kind of no-issue reliability that they got with their low-tech, low performance transportation-vehicle engine. If you want simple reliability and transportation, there are many Fords, Hondas, Toyotas, etc., which will do an outstanding job for you. They are genuinely good cars. They merely have limited entertainment value. Anything you pay for cars that's above basic transportation is for entertainment. If it's not that entertaining or the cost is too high, then don't.

But there are countless cars & engines that have required you to stay on top of particular issues or weaknesses. It's unfortunate that the IMS is one of them. (Note that some of the Porsche engines in the mid 70's also had IMS bearing problems.) What is important to me is, once the bearing is replaced & the RMS updated....there seem to be no other, consistent, big issues with the engine -- other than a soiled reputation. Are there other service items like the radiator reservoir or the AOS?....yep. But they are more "accessories" rather than representing something wrong with the engine itself.

If I can do some simple preventative maintenance and the engine will be solid..... excellent. The car gives me a wonderful combination of a good ride, handling, fuel economy, power and general dynamics.

Well, while I haven't heard of any of the LN retrofit bearings failing, there is still a potential for that to fail causing great damage to the engine. Even Charles recommends that that bearing be replaced every time the gearbox comes off. This also makes no mention of things like cylinder wall failures, collapsed lifters, worn out lifter trays, cracked heads- all things which qualify as "major problems." I think it's pretty clear in the fact that the GT2 and GT3 engines are STILL built on the old GT1 case halves, as Porsche KNOWS that those don't blow up.

In closing, let's just say that the company who brought you the 996 and Boxster is NOT the same company who brought you the 930.

Well, while I haven't heard of any of the LN retrofit bearings failing, there is still a potential for that to fail causing great damage to the engine. Even Charles recommends that that bearing be replaced every time the gearbox comes off. This also makes no mention of things like cylinder wall failures, collapsed lifters, worn out lifter trays, cracked heads- all things which qualify as "major problems." I think it's pretty clear in the fact that the GT2 and GT3 engines are STILL built on the old GT1 case halves, as Porsche KNOWS that those don't blow up.

In closing, let's just say that the company who brought you the 996 and Boxster is NOT the same company who brought you the 930.

nice try to try to have the 'last word'.

So let me put it this way. If Porsche remained the same company that brought you the 930, it would have been out of business 10 years ago - and there'd be no modern Porsche and no forums like this etc etc. You'd have a bunch of old timers doting over their aircooled machines and talking about the 'good old days' and lamenting the loss of a niche car manufacturer named Porsche.

Porsche sold over 700,000 M96 engine derivative cars. Yes, a very small percentage of those engines have failed (including mine) - but most haven't.

If a M96 and m97.1 engine scares you - DON'T BUY IT or DRIVE IT.

If you want to enjoy a fantastic sports car that sells for $30K or so used - buy it.

But don't waste your time on a 996 forum bashing it.

• Upvote 1

That is good advice but it is hard to predict the future when buying a new car. Maybe you recall since I don't, did Porsche send out a bulletin predicting the engines would fail in the future? I don't think so. Unfortunately once you have one of the early m96 most people know the problems associated and you are somewhat stuck with it. Sure I would like to upgrade, but I can't sell mine. I would sell mine today and get a 997 if i could. I can't stand the thoughts of the engine going out and putting a $25,000 engine in a $18,000 car.

If you Google the m96 problems it doesn't appear to be some worldwide mystery. There is allot of talk about it. Where there is smoke there is fire. I believe I read on this forum that Porsche would not release the total number of m96 issues. That should tell you something. I love Porsche as a whole, but they didn't stand behind their product like they should have!

Also, giving someone advice not to drive a car they own isn't quite realistic. Cars are meant to drive. Next time I will take my crystal ball to the car lot or I will just buy it and not drive! Thanks.

nice try to try to have the 'last word'.

So let me put it this way. If Porsche remained the same company that brought you the 930, it would have been out of business 10 years ago - and there'd be no modern Porsche and no forums like this etc etc. You'd have a bunch of old timers doting over their aircooled machines and talking about the 'good old days' and lamenting the loss of a niche car manufacturer named Porsche.

Porsche sold over 700,000 M96 engine derivative cars. Yes, a very small percentage of those engines have failed (including mine) - but most haven't.

If a M96 and m97.1 engine scares you - DON'T BUY IT or DRIVE IT.

If you want to enjoy a fantastic sports car that sells for $30K or so used - buy it.

But don't waste your time on a 996 forum bashing it.

Edited by valley996