Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Whining noise just started and seems to be getting worse on 05 v6

Car is a 2005 V6 Cayenne w/ just over 50,000 miles. The other day after about 15 minutes of driving I could hear a noise coming from the front end. I turned radio down to hear it better and it was a whistling noise. It went away after a minute and didn't hear it again that day. Yesterday when driving I heard it again and thought maybe I had something in my front wheel or tire but then it went away again and didn't hear it for the rest of the day. Today I was driving around local neighborhoods and I heard it while driving and it would start and stop every 30 seconds to a minute at low speeds. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks guys

No idea what the noise is but have you checked the fluid levels and basic things such as tire pressures?

tire pressur is fine. after searching and reading many posts, I'm hoping its not the front differential starting to go bad. I have 53,000 miles on car. Should I possibly change the differential fluid? Oil is only about 4,000 miles old and checks out ok. What other fluids should I check? hoping it is just a belt or new fluid and not something major.

Can't help with a solution...yet...but I noticed a similar sound yesterday...have a 2004 Cayenne TT with 45k. Just bought it. The sound was noticed while in stop and go traffic...The whistling sound seems to rotate with the wheels or the drive shaft? It does seem to come and go. I am thinking it might have something to do with the slow driving as it seems to go away after I get back up to speed...I will be listening carefully and add info to this forum if I discover anything more definitive.

after searching on this site and another i think that it may be the front differential. I'm going to take it to my local indy shop on monday or tuesday. Car is fine for the first 15-20 mins and then the noise comes and goes. starts when you get around 30mph and stops when you slow down to around 15mph. I'm hoping it will just be a belt or something. My second hope is that changing the differential fluid may help. I'm just not ready to drop $2500-4000 on replacing the differential. I've read where some people have made it 20,000 + miles after the sound started before changing it although I don't think i could handle the noise that long but hopefully a fluid change would help. We will see. I'm going to take a ride w/ the mechanic and let him diagnose before giving my thoughts.

• 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...

My 04 Cayenne S is in the shop with what sounds similar. They think it is a left front wheel bearing. Estimate of $800 with an alignment, if the right is ok.

Are you still having this problem? My 06 Cayenne S has a similar sound, reminds me of a belt whinning on older US cars, that also seems to change with throttle and brake input. Porsche dealer could not pinpoint and have not had enough probles to take it back. We ave 66k miles by the way.

• 1 year later...
  • 3 years later...