Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fuel Tank Ventilation Micro-leak - how many hours of service?

Hi guys,

I got the CEL and my Durametric read out the error code P0442. Since I've been super busy recently, I did a quick test and then I took the car into a local mechanic shop instead of working on it myself.

I understand there are 3 main sections/steps to look deeper into (also check the attached system diagram):

P0442 Repair Outline:

Section 1. Check "tightness" (i.e. ability to hold vacuum) of shut-off value

Section 2. Check ventilation lines for leaks

Section 3. Check tightness of EVAP canister purge valve

(I did a quick test on Section 3 since I can access this valve from the rear. Testing just the valve seemed to indicate it works alright).

The shop seemed to have done only section-1 (from tech's hand notes).

Section 1 is basically:

1-a ) Remove front right-hand wheel housing liner.

1-b ) Test the shut-off value (i.e. apply battery voltage and create vacuum -> see if it holds)

1-c ) Replaced the shut-off value (since it didn't hold pressure)

Just for 1a-1c, they've have charged me ~3.5 hours in labor @ about $110/hour. That's ~$ 385 in just labor for 1a-1c. This is a 3rd party independent mechanic, California.

I have 2 questions

1) I think it should NOT take a professional mechanic, specializing in Porsches, 3.5 hours to do just the section 1 work. That's just my opinion.

So, how long do you guys think it should take for a shop to perform just the section 1 repairs?

2) Next, how long do you think it should take to perform the section 2 repairs i.e. check the ventilation lines for leaks?

I just got the same error code (P0442) back and since they might have done section1 and I did a quick test on section 3, I might need to revisit the shop to get section 2 done. So some knowledge would be helpful.

To those who don't know, section 2 details are at the bottom of this post:

This story is far from over ... sigh!

Thanks!

Sid

===============================================

Section 2 details:

Use a HC (HydroCarbon) tester and to check the following locations (also check the diagram below)

2-a ) Tank cap

2-b ) Line connections to EVAP canister

2-c ) EVAP canister

2-d ) Line connection to fuel tank sender unit

2-e ) Pressure sensor

2-f ) Opening of fuel filler neck into tank

2-g ) Line connection of EVAP canister purge valve

2-h ) Ventilation lines:

2-h-i ) from EVAP canister to operating purge valve

2-h-ii) from operating purge valve to tank

2-h-iii) from EVAP canister to EVAP canister purge valve

Any reading over 1000ppm is bad and under 50 ppm is good.

post-8807-0-88425400-1296449101_thumb.jp

Edited by siddharth

The labour rate seems excessive. The first thing to inspect is the fuel cap seals and replace the cap if suspect. I never fault trace codes unless they return after being cleared and a smoke tester is the best tool for checking for leaks in the EVAP system. It's best to just clear the code and play a waiting game to see if it returns.

The labour rate seems excessive. The first thing to inspect is the fuel cap seals and replace the cap if suspect. I never fault trace codes unless they return after being cleared and a smoke tester is the best tool for checking for leaks in the EVAP system. It's best to just clear the code and play a waiting game to see if it returns.

Thanks for the response! Come to think of it, I forgot to mention a few things that you raised:

- I did replace the fuel cap with a newer cap

- this code does keep coming back ... **** P0442! Played this game for several weeks and MANY times :(

+1 on smoke machine since your code is indicating a small leak so it's hard to detect even if they were to vacuum test every single EVAP line. Otherwise, I'm afraid it's a fishing expedition :(

Oh on the bright side, at least it can be reproduced and it's not intermittent so hopefully easier to track down.

Edited by Ahsai

• 2 years later...

I know this thread is quite old but was there a resolution? I too have the same issue and have tried all the vacuum tests, repairs and cap replacements. But still every 100-150 miles the CEL pops up with p0442. Any suggestions appreciated! Thanks!

• 7 months later...