Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Coolant Pipes Recommendation

I have an 04 Cayenne S and about a couple of months ago the water pump was replaced. After a week, I had a low coolant indicator on. Took it to the dealership repair shop and was told that there is a leak from some plastic housing for coolant under the engine which has a crack and Porsche now replaces it with a metal part. The cost involved is around $2000 to fix it as it involves putting the car on the jack and removing parts from underside to get to it and parts costs around $800.

This discussion seems to point to the same problem, but I am not sure as there are mention of both aluminum and plastic parts (plastic T) where as I have been told that the part that has a crack is plastic and will be replaced with a metal one.

Can someone confirm if there is more than coolant pipes and plastic T joint to worry about? Also, has anyone tried to do it? How difficult will it be if it is DIY?

TIA

your problem is likely the coolant pipes that are underneath the intake manifold (based on the description and cost figures)

I'm not sure of the Cayenne S has the plastic T-pipe like the Turbo's which is an additional source for leak/failure.

w.r.t. the coolant pipes under the manifold, the most complete link with details is here:

My link

have a look and it should get you up to speed. If you are somewhat mechanically inclined, it is a reasonable DIY.

Good luck!

Someone might want to browse around Grainger Supply and see if they have metal replacements for the plastic T's.. it certainly isn't an uncommon design, and I suspect with barbed fittings such as this T uses - one very slightly oversize (say in "SAE" size) will work just fine with standard hose clamps. Certainly be way less costly then special machining them.

And from what I'm reading - it appears these are turbo only bits - are the turbos water cooled or oil cooled (better if water cooled..)

Also - the "pink" antifreeze - anyone compared it to the GM long-life stuff (which is sort of a dark pink/orange color..) It wouldn't surprise me to hear that Porsche uses it since they designate the coolant as "lifetime" (as did GM) - and the jello forming is a common happening if people mix GM's stuff with "normal" ethelyne-glycol coolant.

Danish: I have the Cayenne S 2004 as well and just 2 months ago I went through this process. Mine used to show lack of coolant of about 1.5 liter every 1500 miles approximately, I used to top it off and again after 1500 miles same loss of coolant. I finally decided to repair. I read through every article in this forum about the Bypass Coolant Pipe Repair and in one of the articles I started to ask those who had the T pipe issue about they Cayenne Model. be assured that the T pipe is not available in S and its specific to Turbo. I even ordered the T pipe and handed over to my mechanic (porsche dealer) to replace and they could not find it in the car, they also searched the part number by model number ad VIN number and confirmed it is not on S models.

if they have confirmed that your cayenne problem is the Coolant Pipes under the intake manifold I suggest you do it sooner because you might be able to prevent damage to your starter which is basically under the coolant pipes and the leak falls over it, gradual leak make a pool there and starter will be soaked into coolant. the factory installed pipes are Plastic but new ones that you would replace will be Aluminum. Check this link for picture of the pipes:

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product/PKCAYPIPE.html?Category_Code=955sWaterCooling

Also check this:

check my photos and the starter situation:

Hope it helps.

Reza. Thanks a lot for detailed reply and for providing the links. I am getting the coolant pipes replaced next week and in the mean time I am trying to minimize the driving.

Glad to know that I don't have to worry about T-pipe although the repair shop mentioned that they will replace breather element at the same time as it is near the pipes so they might as well do that.

Is there anything else that should be replaced while this work is perfomed?

Thanks

Not to my knowledge. They replace the main pipes, starter if required (by the way note that the starter (if required) costs around $700 and they really replace a previously factory repair one not a totally brand new starter. they take yours too, then clean, repaired to sell to another customer) and breather pipe on top of the main pipes. unfortunately being proactive and trying to also fix Water Pump at this time does not reduce the costs, that is considered toady independent job, so do not worry for that piece and if that happened in future that would be a separate job.

usually parts are under 2 years warranty and the dealer warranty their labor work for 2 years meaning if you faced same issue in next year or so you can get back to them. check to get this from them.

One suggestion though: when you get it back, a day later, when the car is in normal temperature (lets say you return from work, park in garage, next morning before you go to work) check the coolant level and you might see it is not at MAX level or its below MIN. top it off to MAX (no more) so that in 2 weeks time when you check it again and its on MAX you are relived there is no leak anywhere else.

since the mechanic is in rush to get things done in a day they go by assumption that capacity is xx liter of fluid and they fill it up, then they run the engine and when its warm they check the coolant level and OK to go. and since engine is been warm it usually shows more than it is. But when you check it out at room temperature you'll see its lower than minimum.

Below are the PET part numbers for the failing plastic 'T' water hose fittings. There does not seem to be any difference between USA, CANADA or ROW vehicles regarding these fittings.

Turbo V8 has 2 water hose fittings installed.

Part numbers are:

955 106 323 50

948 106 035 51 (this one connects to the water return line for the cooling of the turbo chargers).

Normally aspirated V8 has only a 955 106 323 00 water hose fitting installed.

Hope this helps.

Edited by bigbuzuki

• 1 month later...

Below are the PET part numbers for the failing plastic 'T' water hose fittings. There does not seem to be any difference between USA, CANADA or ROW vehicles regarding these fittings.

Turbo V8 has 2 water hose fittings installed.

Part numbers are:

955 106 323 50

948 106 035 51 (this one connects to the water return line for the cooling of the turbo chargers).

Normally aspirated V8 has only a 955 106 323 00 water hose fitting installed.

Hope this helps.

Someplace in this thread it had been stated that the NA V8 also had a T in that position. I ordered the part that was designated as the T (with the extra outlet blocked off) when I ordered the coolant pipe replacements from Sonnen.

There is NO T on the non-turbo. What I received is a simple formed coolant hose. Luckily it only cost me $10 for that error, but I hope this helps others to avoid making the same wasted purchase.

I wish you have asked or read this post... I had come into same understanding and had asked everybody. See this post:

The T is not for cayenne S and it is only for Turbo models.

I wish you have asked or read this post... I had come into same understanding and had asked everybody. See this post:

http://www.renntech....ge__pid__195509

The T is not for cayenne S and it is only for Turbo models.

Actually - I did ask: http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic/36895-coolant-pipes-recommendation/page__view__findpost__p__200292 the answer I got was there was a T - which there isn't on non-turbo engines.

I have the T's in my garage. I ordered a kit for my 2005 CTT that included two T's for the back of the engine. If someone wants to contact me to get the measurements and specs etc ... I would be glad to help out. I would love to get metal replacement T's made.