Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken Top pushrod ball joint cap, AGAIN

I replaced a bent convertible top pushrod, and one broken cap. Fix lasted app. 3 months, and then broke the same - side ball joint cap again. What gives ? I am sure this is not normal. I was carful to pre mark the cap placement on both sides, and top worked well for a while. What did I overlook ? All input appreciated

Patrick

+1...

If the mechanism is in good shape you should be able to open and close it by moving it with your pinky. If it's binding anywhere, moving it back and forth with both front pushrods disconnected will reveal where the problem is.

If it's not binding, you could adjust the length of the front pushrods after determining whether they are correctly set at their current length. If you have no idea as to what the correct length of the pushrods is, you could put the top in the completely closed position with the front pushrods' plastic ball cups pressed on to the B-Pillar steel balls, BUT with the 10mm nut which holds the two sections of each pushrod together slightly loosened. That will get the top to the closed position and the pushrods at the approximate correct overall length. You can then tighten the 10mm nut so that the pushrods' length is locked in position.

Be aware that the overall length of the front pushrods affects how the horizontal leading edge of the canvas top lines up with each side of the top horizontal edge of the windshield frame and that the resulting adjustment is NOT a strictly linear progression. At some point, the front edge of the top on the side of the pushrod that is being adjusted will pull back (rather than overshoot) that edge.

Before you make any adjustment, be sure to mark the front pushrods' overall length at the point where the two sections of a pushrod connect so that you have a starting point.

If you have to make a finer adjustment, you can just screw (or unscrew) the plastic ball cup one turn at a time. The 10mm bolt will give you a gross adjustment.

Regards, Maurice.

• 2 years later...

The push rods are supposed to be bent, they are manufactured with a slight bend. As far as the ball joint... If you have not broken off the threads and can screw it back in, the SB says to apply thread lock and re install. Mine broke and elongated the threaded hole in the bell crank but I managed to clean up the threads and screw it back in. It would go all the way in and then spin if I applied too much torque to it. Go out and get some heavy duty thread lock, apply generously to the threads and nut and then screw in until snug. Let it set for 24 hours BEFORE RE-ATTACHING THE PUSHROD. After that you should have no more problems. I haven't.