Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Marks on soft top

Hi, has anyone got any ideas on how to remove the 3 compression marks left in the soft top by the 3 rubber clamp pads in the clamshell. I have tried all the Renovo products with no success. Did think of heating the areas to try and lift the fibres back to their original form ( I know that can work on some plastics). Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

• 1 year later...

I have em too. Learned to live with it. Have even lost Concours points due to it.

Every other year I clean my top with Ragg Topp cleaner prior to winter hibernation, then in the spring I hit the pristine top with 3-4 light coats of Ragg Topp protector. My cocoa top looks better than brand new. This is after 7 driving seasons and over 50,000 miles.

• Moderators

I have these sort of marks on my Graphite Grey cab top, and I found an interesting way to minimize them.

First off, I do a deep clean of the top material about every 3 years using a soap solution of Woolite and Simple Green mixed with water 1:1:3. I scrub the top with a medium stiff bristle brush, and let the liquid stand on the top for at least 45 minutes, scrub again and then rinse throughly with cold water. This cleaner mix, will strip off the wax on the body, so I drape the car with plastic and tape it around with windows to keep the body wax removal at a minimum.

Next, let the top dry for about 2 days in covered parking.

After the top is completely dry, I give the canvas material 3 progressively heavier coats of RaggTopp fabric protectant. Be sure to mask off the bodywork and windows, as you don't want RaggTopp on the paint or glass. Let this stage dry completely, a day or two.

So you are probably thinking, "that is what I do (more or less), and I still have the marks". Well now comes the secret sauce.

I found quite by accident that one of my detailing sprays "Adams In&Out Spray", when lightly applied to the compression marks, completely hides these marks. It does not remove them, but the spray gives the marked area the same depth and sheen as the unmarked areas, and hides them quite nicely. When applying the spray, start light, and gradually build up the spray until you are satisfied that the mark is no longer prominent. If you overdo it, you can wipe off the excess quickly, and adjust accordingly. The spray takes a bit of time to fully dry and blend in, so take your time when applying it.

Hope this helps

• 1 year later...

I am puzzled as to why Renovo didn't cover the marks.  This Boxter was treated with Canvas Cleaner, Reviver (dye) and finished off with Ultra Proofer (sealer).  The rear window was also cleaned with Plastic Polish.

post-96390-0-97578200-1402353406_thumb.j  
post-96390-0-55247600-1402353472_thumb.j