Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

HELP! Problem with coolant cover and coolant refill

So I have this coolant leak around a metal plate on the engine block close to where the transmission meets the engine

Pic of the plate =>

post-5282-0-26113800-1299133413_thumb.jp

I removed the plate and about 1.2 gallon of coolant gushed out :eek:. I caught almost all of it.

What's behind the plate =>

post-5282-0-31122000-1299133281_thumb.jp

Now I'm left with TWO PROBLEMS:

1) Per the Porsche catalogue, there is a gasket between the plate and the engine block but I don't have this gasket at all and my engine is stock.

Left to right, new gasket, new plate, old plate. So should I add this new gasket in between or just replace the old plate with the new one? The old one worked for 6yrs afterall =>

post-5282-0-52424700-1299133296_thumb.jp

2) With a full coolant tank, how do I refill the coolant?? Turn on the engine momentarily and the coolant from the tank should be sucked back to the engine? Any insight or tips will be much appreciated!

Edited by Ahsai

To your issue number 1 - Maybe that is why it started leaking (no gasket)? I would put the gasket in.

On number 2 - after you start the engine and it warms to temp., the thermostat will open and the coolant will be gin to flow, you can then (after it cools) add the coolant.

Good luck...

DC

To your issue number 1 - Maybe that is why it started leaking (no gasket)? I would put the gasket in.

On number 2 - after you start the engine and it warms to temp., the thermostat will open and the coolant will be gin to flow, you can then (after it cools) add the coolant.

Good luck...

DC

Thanks for the reply. No, the plate already has a rubber gasket around it. My engine is stock and the plate worked for 8yrs and I'm hesitant to have double gasket.

Make sure the mating surface on the engine is perfectly clean and no scratches or corrosion is present and reinstall without the gasket. The O ring embedded in the cover should provide all the sealing you need. Make sure you don't over torque the fasteners when installing. The aluminum is unforgiving.

Make sure the mating surface on the engine is perfectly clean and no scratches or corrosion is present and reinstall without the gasket. The O ring embedded in the cover should provide all the sealing you need. Make sure you don't over torque the fasteners when installing. The aluminum is unforgiving.

Thanks for the reply and that's exactly what I plan to do to finish the job.

Ahsai:

+1 on the over-torquing.

With respect to the refilling of the coolant, you may have to use a vacuum device if you end up with any air pockets. You have the fact that you have only drained a little more than a gallon of coolant, so you may get away with either no or very little "burping".

Regards, Maurice.

Ahsai:

+1 on the over-torquing.

With respect to the refilling of the coolant, you may have to use a vacuum device if you end up with any air pockets. You have the fact that you have only drained a little more than a gallon of coolant, so you may get away with either no or very little "burping".

Regards, Maurice.

Thanks, Maurice. I ended up not using the gasket and just replaced the plate with a new one and refilled from the coolant tank without vacuum tool. It took all the coolant that was drained out. I left the bleeder valve open and drove it a bit with some 5k rev, the coolant level is now a tad lower than MIN. Since I spilled some so that makes perfect sense. So it seems I got by this time w/o vacuum refill. Will monitor/refill in the next few days with the bleeder valve OPEN.

Thanks, Maurice. I ended up not using the gasket and just replaced the plate with a new one and refilled from the coolant tank without vacuum tool. It took all the coolant that was drained out. I left the bleeder valve open and drove it a bit with some 5k rev, the coolant level is now a tad lower than MIN. Since I spilled some so that makes perfect sense. So it seems I got by this time w/o vacuum refill. Will monitor/refill in the next few days with the bleeder valve OPEN.

Ahsai:

Driving around with the bleeder valve open will usually do it. Just make sure that you monitor it closely and you should be golden!

Regards, Maurice.