Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Changing the battery -one question

Hi there,

I just bought a 2003 Targa and, I believe, the battery is on its last leg. I read here about replacing it with a cheaper alternative from Autozone. So my question is: do I have to do anything in addition to swapping the batteries out in order to prevent having to reset codes, alarms etc.

Thanks for your time!

• Admin

Make sure you got the vent line connector from Autozone (if you didn't go back and ask them for it). Hook the vent line up to the existing vent line. You will likely have to cut off the old connector but the line will then mate perfectly with the Autozone line.

http://www.renntech....dpost__p__14446

You should not get and codes or alarms and MY2003 has the MOST system for the radio so no radio code. But you might have to reset the radio stations.

Hi there,

I just bought a 2003 Targa and, I believe, the battery is on its last leg. I read here about replacing it with a cheaper alternative from Autozone. So my question is: do I have to do anything in addition to swapping the batteries out in order to prevent having to reset codes, alarms etc.

Thanks for your time!

Hi,

Yes...I found the OEM batteries to be pure junk. If they sit for a week sometimes they are dead....So aftermarket is fine. If you swap, you will lose all of your settings and need your radio code. You either need to keep the cables connected to a trickle charger or one that plugs into your cigarette lighter. Key is to keep 12 volts to your system so you do not lose settings. Beyond that, nothing different. If you have your radio code, no big deal....The DME will learn your driving habits again and adjust settings , you will have to set your clock and reset the radio code...No biggie.

Good luck!

DC

Lots of excellent information on this Board about battery replacement. I replaced my battery recently and went with the Diehard from Sears for $139. The Autozone Duralast was $169. Both batteries are made by Johnson Controls (vs. Exide) PepBoys sells the Bosch battery for just under $100. It is interesting to read the older threads when prices were 50% cheaper.

My old battery which was an Interstate had a rear center vent tube and the new batteries at Sears and Autozone had a side tube vent. Both Sears and Autozone don't provide vent tube kits for their side vent batteries. Rear center vents tube adapters are female and slide over the vent hole on the battery and side vent tubes are male and insert into the vent hole.

Group 49 batteries are preferred in colder climates where more cranking amps are essential. The Group 49 batteries are three inches longer than the Group 48 and weigh more. Group 47 is even lighter and will work if that is a concern. The battery tray has adjustments and will accomadate all three.

Here is an excellent link on Renntech for more info. PRESS HERE

Here is the link to the Sears DieHard SIte. PRESS HERE

The battery is backed by 36-month free replacement and 100-month pro-rated limited warranty.

Here is the link to the Autozone Duralast Site. PRESS HERE

The battery has an 8 year warranty.

Here is the link to Pep Boys SIte. PRESS HERE

The battery is backed by 36-month free replacement and 96-month pro-rated limited warranty.

Edited by kbrandsma

My Autozone battery is fine and very dependable. One thing of note, you will need a donor battery connected to your drivers side kick panel access point NOT a trickle charger to retain any memories. Battery chargers do not produce amps unless connected to a battery (I made this mistake). The only other thing I suggest different is to make sure your power windows are in the full up posotion so a re-index isn't necessary if you loose the donor battery power.

Hi there,

Thanks for your time!