Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

2011 Brake Pad Installation procedure ?

you place a screwdriver up the back of the pad between pad backing plate and calliper and ease the pad forward

OK, thanks!  Just ordered the guide pins and will be trying this as soon as they arrive.  First time for brakes. Wish me luck. :cheers:

• 3 weeks later...

Did the job this past Sunday. Turned out I needed one more bit-set, a hex-bit set, which I was able to get at O'Reilly's. You need that to remove the lower brake-line bracket. The left front took me a couple of hours as it was a 1st for me. The right took only 45 min.
The pads came out very easily, once spread.
Hardest part was getting the left rotor off. Must have pounded on it for 20 minutes. Almost gave up. Right rotor was much easier to get off.

Thanks guys for all the help!  It was invaluable.  Saved a ton!

Ron

Anyone know where you can buy the special tool to suspend the caliper? Also when replacing the rear pads and rotors does the car have to be in neutral??? Are there any detailed steps on how the pads and new hardware kit are installed?

any updates on this?

Tool is actually a VW item and looks like this:

vw_matra_t10439.jpg  About $54 from Samstag Tools

Considerably cheaper from SnapOn - $32/pair.. https://vw.snapon.com/SpecialToolsDetail.aspx?itemId=16580009%C2'> They're showing out of stock at the moment. They were in stock about 2 weeks ago when I bought mine.

And I never thought I'd be putting "cheaper from SnapOn" in a sentence.. go figure. In general I found their prices to be better then any of the aftermarket tool places for the VW/Porsche special tools.

• 1 year later...

Thanks guys for the helpful info! Getting ready to purchase the front rotors and pads for our 13 Cayenne diesel,sourced from Sunset Porsche for $529. After reading this thread I'll also purchase those pins for $32. Thanks guys,keep up the great forum!

13 hours ago, Dunerking said:

Thanks guys for the helpful info! Getting ready to purchase the front rotors and pads for our 13 Cayenne diesel,sourced from Sunset Porsche for $529. After reading this thread I'll also purchase those pins for $32. Thanks guys,keep up the great forum!

when I did my front discs and pads I found the pins somewhat redundant if you have another pair of hands to help. Although the front calipers are big suckers, it was easy to hold the caliper clear of the disc for the few minutes its takes un screw and replace rotor. I also found that it was unnecessary to replace the clips holding the pads, if you just 'unclip and replace' one pad at a time, the clip just stays in place. that bit also can be done in a couple minutes.

• Upvote 2

On ‎7‎/‎12‎/‎2017 at 8:17 AM, Dunerking said:

Thank u very much. The pins did seem excessive. Does anyone know the torque specs for when I re-assemble?

$32 is excessive?  If you drop one of the calipers and rip the brake line out - the cost will far exceed $32. If you drop a caliper, rip the brake line out and it ends up on your toe - the cost will far exceed $32.  You're going to save $300-500 over visiting a dealership.. and $32 is excessive?

Reread what he said: "I found the pins somewhat redundant if you have another pair of hands to help" - do you have another set of skilled hands around?

Edited by deilenberger

Dang...must of struck a nerve. The word is "excessive" was probably incorrect...and "redundant" is better,I agree there. It's not about the price of $32 being excessive,but more for a tool that I'll use once every 30k miles(4 years) then they maybe "excessive". Who knows this thing may even get bought back by VW. 

BTW..do u have a set of pins I can borrow? Lol. 

23 minutes ago, Dunerking said:

Dang...must of struck a nerve. The word is "excessive" was probably incorrect...and "redundant" is better,I agree there. It's not about the price of $32 being excessive,but more for a tool that I'll use once every 30k miles(4 years) then they maybe "excessive". Who knows this thing may even get bought back by VW. 

BTW..do u have a set of pins I can borrow? Lol. 

If you want to swing by and pick them up in NJ.. sure.

BTW - these sort of special tools - typically have a resale value when you get rid of the vehicle of about 75-80% of their new price. BTDT with lots of BMW special tools for their cars and the bikes. If I'm not using them - I'll post them on a forum FS list and they're typically gone in a day or two.  There are a number of BMW valve shim kits that increased in price so much while I owned them that I made a profit selling them, had a bidding war going on.

Edited by deilenberger

I agree 100% with u. With pretty much any project,having the proper tools makes the job better and typically easier. I've done this with my Jetta TDI with speciality tools like the rear brake caliper/parking brake reset tool and a few others. I may purchase a brake caliper/piston spreader tool,but something like this I can use on the 3 other vehicles I own. Thanks for the info. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Finally got all the tools(pins and triple square sockets) and parts. Started in and had a issue removing the wear indicator. Ended up breaking the back side of the wear indicator. Looks like I have to order a set of those. Is there a trick to removing these? I took my needle nose and squeeze the spring clips together with no success. Tried taking the screwdriver to help and that's when I cracked the backside of it. Any tips would be great. Thanks 

On ‎8‎/‎11‎/‎2017 at 11:49 PM, Dunerking said:

Finally got all the tools(pins and triple square sockets) and parts. Started in and had a issue removing the wear indicator. Ended up breaking the back side of the wear indicator. Looks like I have to order a set of those. Is there a trick to removing these? I took my needle nose and squeeze the spring clips together with no success. Tried taking the screwdriver to help and that's when I cracked the backside of it. Any tips would be great. Thanks 

One of my laws: "You'll never need the part you have.." - meaning if you'd bought the wear sensor before starting the job, the old ones would have come out just fine. Had yours indicated the pads were worn? It looks as if once they touch the rotor surface and the plastic surrounding the actual sensor starts being worn away - they become much more difficult to remove intact. Or to install intact.  They're the cheap part of the job - I just order them when I decide to do the job. Dunno what I'll eventually do with the old sensors that came out just fine and are sitting on the shelf.. :)  I'm sure I'll never need them.

No,the wear indicators were still good and had not triggered the check brake light. Your probably right,had I purchased them from the beginning they would probably still be in the bags waiting for the next front brake job. Fortunately I was able to grab a pair from the dealer for not much more than if ordered from online. Thanks again everyone for the info.