Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

• Moderators

I thought I knew this, but, now I'm not sure. I owned the Xenon headlight option on my '99 C4....and I've ordered the P74 Xenon option on my incoming GT3. (sometimes called "Bi-Xenon"?). My buddiie's new GT3 just arrived home with the P74 option and upon inspecting the headlights I find a Xenon low beam in a projector beam housing that levers up and down as the car attitude changes (just like my old '99 Xenons), and a halogen (looks like an H7) bulb below that adds to the Xenon low beam when high beams are selected (just like my old '99). So what's "Bi" about the P74 Bi Xenon option, and how's it any different from my old '99 Xenons? <_<

• Admin

From the Tech Information Book

Xenon main headlights

Additional equipment (I-no.) for all models instead of the previously known "Litronic", is now the new gas discharge light system known as "Bi-Xenon", which, in terms of

range and road surface illumination, is adapted to the superior performance. In technical terms these headlamps are basically the same as the standard headlamps

of the 911 Turbo, the only difference being an additional grooving in the protective glass (same as halogen basic headlamps)

Note

Technically speaking, there is no difference between "Litronic" and "Xenon". Both systems are based on the principle of the gas discharge lamp. Trademark protection of different manufacturers accounts for the different system names. The name "Bi-Xenon" is a reference to the fact that gas discharge lamp technology is also used in the high-beam headlights. Unlike the "Bi-Xenon" system, the "Litronic" system uses a conventional halogen lamp for the highbeam headlight.

With the Bi-Xenon projection module, the light generated by the D2S xenon lamp is projected onto the road surface by means of a large glass lens measuring 70 mm in diameter. By moving a beam mask, the beam exit area can be enlarged compared to that for the low-beam headlight so that the xenon light (similar to normal daylight) can also be used to produce the spread beam of the high-beam headlight. The mechanical concept of the beam mask is based on an electronically actuated solenoid which moves the beam mask to the high-beam position when the high-beam signal is issued. When the high-beam headlight is switched off, the moving beam mask is raised to the low-beam position and held there by a pretensioned spring so that the specified light/dark boundary is maintained reliably even in the event of a system failure.

The "Bi-Xenon" system offers the following advantages in low-beam mode:

* very high light volume

* more light in the boundary zone in front of the light/dark boundary

* homogeneous illumination of the entire road surface

* high colour temperature enables good colour vision

* the sharply defined light/dark boundary prevents passing vehicles from being dazzled

* to prevent the driver of the vehicle and the drivers of oncoming vehicles from being dazzled, the headlights are coated with "anti-dazzle" paint at the necessary points and have a periphery illumination reflector

The "Bi-Xenon" system offers the following advantages in high-beam mode:

* Xenon high-beam headlights

* lowering the beam mask provides a wide and very brightly lit illumination zone even at long range (particularly important on winding roads)

* supplementary halogen headlights ensure long-range illumination (important when driving at high speeds along straight roads)

* considerably better switching behaviour when flashing the headlights as well as improved homogeneity compared to previous gas-discharge systems.

The overall impression of the large headlight with typical Porsche design is achieved thanks to an illumination reflector (to reduce the subjective dazzling of oncoming traffic) and a halogen lamp which is used for the side marker light and which produces light that perfectly matches the colour of the xenon lights.

Edited by Loren

• Moderators

Thanks Loren...That explains my observations. There is still a supplementary halogen high beam bulb (probably still an H7), but, the Xenon illumination switch to high beam mode is different and improved. So, as before with my Litronics, I may search for slightly better H7 supplementation high beam bulbs.