Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Boxster High mileage question

i was looking to buy a 1997-1999 boxster, i was wondering what kind of problems i should be looking for in a car between these years, also how do theses cars do, how reliable are they high mileage ( over 100k), an include any other buyer tips you would like to give to me! thank you for your time

Edited by lilsnoboardr22

The boxsters tend to be more reliable than similar cars of the same vintage, coupled with often lower mileage than the comparison cars.

Little is known above 100k miles, as most boxsters have not yet reached that. The few that did seem to be just fine.

If the car has a decent owner (decent driver), who maintained the car properly it is like any used car - there will be repairs at times.

Largest nuisance for '97 to '99 models have been the engine misalignment (RMS leak -> engine replacement), plastic window cracking/fading -> leading to window replacement, top-mechanism failing -> leading to top replacement, clutch needing replacement, battery replacement (every 4th year), but statistics are unknown (low?). '97s do not accept 18" wheels without retrofit.

Generally, cars without performance modifications (drivetrain, suspension, engine) tend to be more reliable (factory spec). Many performance mods have caused 'glitches' in electronics, wear and tear, and point towards more aggressive drivers - usually correlating to a more deteriorated car. One owner cars are likewise better cared for than lease- or multi-owner cars. (and may have more options).

As with anything mechanical, all problems are fixable. You'll notice that Porsche repairs, dealer or aftermarket, tends to be a bit more pricey than mainstay cars - both in pricing of OEM parts and in the amount of labor often required to do simple repairs (due to Porsche 'no compromise design').

But then again, it's a bargain compared to Ferrari maintenance. The best thing here is that your depreciation will be low.

There's also something called 'permagrin'. This comes free with driving the car.

Thinking how much less you pay when compared to the previous owners will make up for any nuisances, and strengthen your 'permagrin'.

I kind of have a different opinion than Henry on the suject, Unless your "slush fund" for fixing the car is big, do not get near the thing. I would said that (from my experience) Porsche are incredibly unreliable... The big problem is due to the engine location, it is very difficult to do anything yourself (unless you have a lift in your garage).

Do not under-estimate the RMS problem, this 20$ part will cost you ~800$ to change. This like the Air Mass Sensor are going for ~300$ a pop. If the cable of your retractable top break (which is more likely on pre-2000) and you can't fix it yourself you are going to face a 1500$ for getting it replace.

Do not get me wrong, I love the car, it is a great ride, but do not think your are going to save money buy buying a sub 20K$ 1997 boxster.... maintenance will get to you.

I agree with Frenchy. Make sure you take into account the total cost of the car. Can you do stuff yourself? If not, give the dealers a call and ask how much the schedule maintenance is. Also, budget it tire replacement, they're not cheap.

I've seen high mileage cars go for mid to low teens. They are tempting, but consider the cost of the maintenance for these cars are pretty high.

Reliabilty wise. I have a '97 with 47K miles on it.

The list of I problems I've had since I bought it in '01 are:

1) Window regulator, driver's side $800 (I think)

2) CE light on (150 for the dealer to reset, still not fixed)

3) 2 O2 sensors ($300 DIY)

4) Coolant boil-over ($100 in coolant + a new cap, DIY)

5) Top Cable broke ($150 DIY, dealer quoted $2k)

Outstanding problems:

1) CE light still on. Pointing to shorted O2 heater.

So if you're looking for a high mileage older car, be prepared to set aside money for costly repairs or be able to DIY.

i do know how to do a lot of stuff myself, and do have a pretty nice setup in the garage to access the engine in these cars, i was looking at cars between 40k and 70k miles, i was just asking when they hit the high mileage how reliable are they, i know porsche have high maint. but it comes with the car and it is worth it!! and to answer your question about the tires you can get brand new tires for the car for around 600 a set

you can also pick up parts for pretty cheap off ebay, my last car was a BMW and the maint. was as bad as i thought and i was pushing 160k miles, the car ran like a champ, never any problems, just the original alternator, went ... what is the maint. going to be like compared to a BMW?

Edited by lilsnoboardr22

i was looking to buy a 1997-1999 boxster, i was wondering what kind of problems i should be looking for in a car between these years, also how do theses cars do, how reliable are they high mileage ( over 100k), an include any other buyer tips you would like to give to me! thank you for your time

I have no personal experience with high-mileage Boxsters, but continue to believe that you should buy the best car that you can afford. That usually translates to one with low mileage. While I have found my car to be reliable, and older Porsches can bite your wallet pretty hard. :)

Good luck.

I have a 1997. lots of miles got it with 82k now 89k, Maintanance and mods last year was 3k including tires ($850) and lower arm suspension ($700ish)... new key ($300) ... ($200 tools) + ($150) oil/filter change....the rest were mods...

I would say you go for it... I would reccomend talking to your closest dealer and getting the service history for your car... that will tell you how much was done.

oh... yeah you should defenitly become a contributing member if not more...

post-2406-1105655703.jpg

Well you are going to get stories all over the map. This is mine.

I have a 1997 with 118K and I have no issues, none, zero. I bought my Bosxter from an individual nelieve it or not off of e-Bay, with a 100K on it. I'm not the norm on this, but after checking all the maintenance records I decided to buy it. The key here is maintenance, in my opinion. The previous owner had all maintenance done by certified mechanics, he changed oil on a routine schedule, and never let the car get in poor condation for lack of maintenance. I enjoy the car today and look forward to another 100K miles.

Bruce Anderson, the American dean of all things Porsche Technical, has been asked numerous times in his 40+ years dealing with the breed 'which year car should I buy?' His answer is always the same - the newest you can afford. Coming from a guy who repairs them for a living, that's pretty telling.