Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Oil Leak at Zylinder Base Gasket

Found a new issue recently, started with an apparent drop in oil pressure (I was not driving, engine went out, oil pressure warning on). Since the 120'000km maintanance the car ran very smootly and used very little oil. I've driven 5000km since and it has used up about half a liter. Earlier it was 1 liter per 3000km.

Now I noticed that a bit of oil is coming out beween the gasket and the seal on the right side. The left side is completely dry. Please have a look at the pictures, anything to worry about?

IMG_6112.jpg

IMG_6113.jpg

IMG_6116.jpg

Hi, Could you please explain again: started with an apparent drop in oil pressure (I was not driving, engine went out, oil pressure warning on.

What is an apparent drop in Oil pressure. Did the oil pressure drop off when you were driving the car? Or was it at Idle?? What do you mean "Engine went out"??

How much pressure did the car loose, at what revs, does it start, does the oil light still stay on all the time???

Have you checked your oil level in the car, have you checked the oil pressure sender has not failed???

As to the little bit of oil on your finger, I wish mine was so clean. Its an engine, they leak a little bit. A leak becomes a problem when it drips, what you are showing from the picture is merely a weep. IMO dont worry.

If the head gaskit had blown normally, the oil would be in your coolant or would be getting into the cylinders so it would smoke!!

Frank :unsure:

Edited by Sunnyside

Hi, Could you please explain again: started with an apparent drop in oil pressure (I was not driving, engine went out, oil pressure warning on.

What is an apparent drop in Oil pressure. Did the oil pressure drop off when you were driving the car? Or was it at Idle?? What do you mean "Engine went out"??

How much pressure did the car loose, at what revs, does it start, does the oil light still stay on all the time???

Have you checked your oil level in the car, have you checked the oil pressure sender has not failed???

As to the little bit of oil on your finger, I wish mine was so clean. Its an engine, they leak a little bit. A leak becomes a problem when it drips, what you are showing from the picture is merely a weep. IMO dont worry.

If the head gaskit had blown normally, the oil would be in your coolant or would be getting into the cylinders so it would smoke!!

Frank :unsure:

Thanks for the support guys! That's the problem...my boss was driving in rush hour for the first time with my car all excited so he cannot clearly say how it happened. According to him in stop and go traffic the engine went out and at the same time the warning sign in the dash for oil pressure came on. He checked underneath the car for oil and smell and started again and went off. Since then no issue.

Porsche checked, no oil in the coolant, stable to -30 degrees. Oil consumtion normal, oil level fine, no drops on the floor when I park the car.

Oil pressure sender failure...how to check?

Edited by fedmax

Many TT owners had this problem of "intermittent oil pressure warning signal" and the only fix is to replace the sender. I don't know if Porsche came out with an upgrade but there is a supersede part# and it is 99660620302. The cost of this part is $72.00. To replace it it is a bit tight but can be done....I agree with Frank don't be too worried about little oil on your engine. No puddle under the car, no presence of oil in the coolant or coolant in oil, you should be good....

Do I understand it correctly,when you say engine went out you mean it stopped on its own. So your boss did not switch it off??

If you have no further problems I would suggest all that happened is that the car stalled ( the engine stopped) This would bring up all the dash lights and alarms.

The usual failure is the oil pressure sender to the gauge. When this fails the car brings up an alarm telling you its failed and to take it to the workshop.

If your boss has only stalled the car then there is no problems at all.

If your boss got a message saying there is a problem with the sender/gauge, then this is not such a big thing at all.

Just get it changed.

The main thing is if the car is running with good oil pressure at the moment then there is nothing to panic about.

Good luck.

Tell us all how you get on.

Frank

Do I understand it correctly,when you say engine went out you mean it stopped on its own. So your boss did not switch it off??

If you have no further problems I would suggest all that happened is that the car stalled ( the engine stopped) This would bring up all the dash lights and alarms.

The usual failure is the oil pressure sender to the gauge. When this fails the car brings up an alarm telling you its failed and to take it to the workshop.

If your boss has only stalled the car then there is no problems at all.

If your boss got a message saying there is a problem with the sender/gauge, then this is not such a big thing at all.

Just get it changed.

The main thing is if the car is running with good oil pressure at the moment then there is nothing to panic about.

Good luck.

Tell us all how you get on.

Frank

That is correct, according to him the engine went out and then the warning came on. According to him the oil pressure warning came on in the center screen where all the warnings are spelled out.

I'll keep an eye on it, the car goes into the shop next week for the front suspension mounts to be replaced. the mech will also look at the leak.

Thanks for your help

Ronny

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

Hi, I'm having a similar leak on the right side of the crankcase of my '03 TT. Just wondering if you've had any further issues with this?

Thanks

No problem since last posting, oil consumption hasn't changed, no spills on the floor. Depends in your case how much it is leaking...

Thanks for the update.

I replaced the oil about 1,000 miles ago and there is no change in the level according to the computer gauge so I don't believe that there is any significant loss occurring. However, I do notice a drop or two on the garage floor every few days. Will probably ask the dealership mechanic to give an opinion the next time I'm there.