Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Steering Wheel Crest

Hi Everyone:

I'd like to replace the silver crest on the steering wheel of my 2000 Carrera C4 with a colored one. Can anyone direct me as to where I may purchase one? It's 1.5 inches tall. I've looked at pelican and suncoast to no avail.

I assume I can just pry off the silver one and the new one will come with double sided tape or something similar. Thoughts?

Thanks!

Those are great for road wheels but not steering wheels. :clapping:

I have an aging color crest on my steering wheel that could do with replacing, so would like to know a good source for the 1.5" color crest too.

BTW. Mine looks very attached to the vinyl covering the center of the wheel. So would be interested to hear if anyone has managed to pry the crest off at all.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I still haven't figured out how to replace the steering wheel crest. I'm afraid of breaking something. Seems like they are physically attached to an interior part of the wheel. With the airbag there, I don't want to screw it up.

I changed the silver crest on a 2000 996, that I owned, to a colored crest. It turned out that the silver crest was secured to the airbag cover with a pin through the cover. I did not know this when I started prying the badge back and forth. Eventually, the pin broke off and the silver crest was removed. I guess, in retrospect, I'm very lucky I did not get hurt by an unanticipated airbag deployment. The replacement color crest had a sticky backing that adhered to the airbag cover for the rest of the time I owned the car.

Bottom line, be very careful. I don't know if you can remove the airbag and then the cover to remove the silver crest but, that would seem to me to be the safest method.

Good luck and be careful.

Randall

Thanks Randall. Very helpful information. In retrospect, I may want to keep the silver colored crest on my 2000 996. A colored one would look way better IMHO but the risk of screwing something up on the airbag seems high. I'll keep the forum posted.

It's an easy job if you do it the right way. Disconnect the battery. There are 2 or 3 torx screws on the backside of the steering wheel that hold the airbag in position. Now that the airbag is not secure, unplug it and replace the crest. The airbag cannot deploy without power so do not worry.

LOL. I actually want to replace my gold steering wheel badge with silver and black to match my custom hood badge. I ordered a silver and black hood badge made for the 356 and it's almost identical in size but might have a bit too much curvature to be a valid replacement. Anyone know where I can get a silver badge?

Thanks,

Tim