Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Intermittent top operation. Handbrake up, neutral transmission, windows in various positions, footbrake depressed. I have tried nearly every possible combination. It will go down, I'll drive it for a while, then it won't go up. Just a clicking noise from under the top. Then, after sitting for a while, it will operate. Then, I can cycle it over and over with no problems. Occasionally, it will go up and not completely finish the cycle. It will not lock down completely and cycle the windows. Then, the next day, I can push to close and it will finish the cycle and operate normally. I have tried every combination to consistently reproduce the fault. Completely erratic. Fluid is apparenty full and there are no leaks. Any wisdom on this???

Had something similar with my 2003 C4 Cab last year. Lot of threads on it here, basically each action of the cab top gets its cue to work from the previous, so if something doesn't work in sequence nothing thereafter does. Probably need to grease all of the moving parts and it may help. Did for me, at least.

This doesn't help you much, but mine will only let me put the top up and down with the e brake on with the engine off. My top will not go up or down with the engine on.

• Moderators

Check also if there is no sporadic poor contact/maladjustment appear on the engine hood lock, the top will not work with the engine hood unlocked.

had similar problem last year, couldn't figure it out had it almost apart. After spending lots of dough mechanic said the computer had timed itself out. Reset codes and it works better than ever. I hope this helps you

The top has a pre-programmed series of events that occur only after each microswitch in the series is activated.

For instance, if the top starts to retract, but the sideflaps don't open and trigger their corresponding microswitches, the top will just stop. The computer then attempts to repeat the step that should be taking place until it times out, which I think happens at 30 seconds.

The calibration of the clamshell might be off, the screw drive of the side flaps might need to be greased, and the top latch may not be triggering the microswitch in the windshield.

I recently had a small sliver of plastic flake off the front of my latch that hooks into the windshield frame, and now unless I press on the latch as it's closing, it won't trigger the windshield microswitch, which just causes the latch to open and close over and over.

My guess would be that your side flaps need grease on the screw drive because they're not opening/closing all the way.

The clicking sound may be the ebrake. When the top is not moving, is the ebrake light on , on the dashboard? If not, you may need to get the sensor/contact repaired. I have heard this clicking sound a few times when my ebrake light was not functioning. I had to press the button about 20 times and tap it a few times on the side of the ebrake to get the sensor to work. Once it did, the top words fine and the clicking sound went away.

• 11 months later...
  • Admin

Can someone tell me where all of the mini switches are located for the 996 2001 convertible top function? Is there a diagram somewhere? Thanks

post-1-0-11560200-1335306455_thumb.png

1 - Rocker switch

2 - Warning light

3 - Micro-switch, latching hook (windscreen frame)

4 - Micro-switch, convertible-top latch (convertible-top side)

5 - Potentiometer, convertible-top interrogation

6 - Control module

7 - Micro-switch, convertible-top compartment lid (locked)

8 - Potentiometer, convertible-top compartment lid interrogation

9 - Micro-switch, left/right rear section flap up and down

The convertible top is actuated if:

- Terminal 15 is connected via ignition.

- The parking brake input is connected to ground (parking brake engaged).

- No speedometer signals greater than 5 km/h (3 mph) are present.

- Engine compartment lid is closed (input not at ground potential).

• Upvote 2