Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Loren, can you advise?

Loren, I got this CEL back in October;

P0342 P fault code 112 Phase Sensor 1 Camshaft hall effect sensor 1

P1349 Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1 below limit

I took it in and they replaced the left camshaft sensor, the problem stopped for a while (I don't drive the car that much so it took a few months). The problem came back, I cleared the codes to see if it would stop and it came back again this past Saturday. Any advice? Thanks.

• Admin

P0342 Camshaft position sensor 1 - below limit

Possible fault cause

- Short circuit to ground

P1349 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Possible fault cause

Note: Solenoid hydraulic valve is triggered, camshaft does not switch into early position

- Dirt in system

- Solenoid hydraulic valve mechanically blocked

I would double check that you do not have a cracked bracket (do a search in the TT section as this is covered in detail there).

If not then you could have a bad actuator.

Thanks, I'm going to take her in next week. Strange it's the same exact problem as the last time. I hope it's the bracket.

Edited by 2002Gt2

• 5 weeks later...

Update; I went in and my tech and I checked for a broken bracket and the bracket was fine. He told me that it was probably a faulty actuator. I went ahead and purchased a new one from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, Oregon, for 175.32; shipping included, Part number 996-105-303-71. No one else could come close to that price; everyone else was asking 230.00 and up. I went back in and we installed the new actuator and I didn't even make it out of the parking lot and got the same CEL. So we plugged in the cable and ran the camshaft actual values and it was getting an intermittent signal. When we manipulated the plug we got a full signal and then it would start to work (temporarily). So now we believe it is the plug or the wire to the plug.

The only issue now is that Porsche does not sell the sub wire for this specific actuator that is plugged in to the main wiring harness. You either have to repair the one you have or find one off of another car (any suggestions would be appreciated). I am a little ticked off that I spent 175 bucks and another 180 on labor for nothing, but what am I going to do, I trust this guy. He is the only person that has worked on my car for the last 6 years, to include a variety of modifications (24/18 turbos, injectors, hoses, inter coolers, dv's, new turbo inlets, etc. etc.) The car is an absolute rocket (606 hp to the wheels) but I digress. The last thing that it might be if this doesn't do the trick are the O rings that the actuator is seated against. These O rings prevents the oil from seeping around the actuator. If oil slips through the O rings it throws a CEL because of the variance in pressure thereby causing the actuator to malfunction. If that is the problem, they have to pull the motor. :censored: Loren, if you or anyone else have any thoughts on this issue please respond, I trust this forum. :renntech: Thanks, Mario

have you checked your oil filter for any metal shavings? If you see anything, check with a magnet to see if they are magnetic. I had the same error on bank 2 (p1325) and had to take out the motor and replace the center oil ring on the intake cam.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-turbo-forum/600739-error-code-p1325.html

good luck,

Joel

• Admin

Update; I went in and my tech and I checked for a broken bracket and the bracket was fine. He told me that it was probably a faulty actuator. I went ahead and purchased a new one from Sunset Imports in Beaverton, Oregon, for 175.32; shipping included, Part number 996-105-303-71. No one else could come close to that price; everyone else was asking 230.00 and up. I went back in and we installed the new actuator and I didn't even make it out of the parking lot and got the same CEL. So we plugged in the cable and ran the camshaft actual values and it was getting an intermittent signal. When we manipulated the plug we got a full signal and then it would start to work (temporarily). So now we believe it is the plug or the wire to the plug.

The only issue now is that Porsche does not sell the sub wire for this specific actuator that is plugged in to the main wiring harness. You either have to repair the one you have or find one off of another car (any suggestions would be appreciated). I am a little ticked off that I spent 175 bucks and another 180 on labor for nothing, but what am I going to do, I trust this guy. He is the only person that has worked on my car for the last 6 years, to include a variety of modifications (24/18 turbos, injectors, hoses, inter coolers, dv's, new turbo inlets, etc. etc.) The car is an absolute rocket (606 hp to the wheels) but I digress. The last thing that it might be if this doesn't do the trick are the O rings that the actuator is seated against. These O rings prevents the oil from seeping around the actuator. If oil slips through the O rings it throws a CEL because of the variance in pressure thereby causing the actuator to malfunction. If that is the problem, they have to pull the motor. :censored: Loren, if you or anyone else have any thoughts on this issue please respond, I trust this forum. :renntech: Thanks, Mario

Same CEL? Which one P0342 or P1349? or both?

P0342 is the camshaft sensor (on the side of the head) - it maybe time to inspect the wiring on that sensor and it's connector.

Same CEL? Which one P0342 or P1349? or both?
P0342 is the camshaft sensor (on the side of the head) - it maybe time to inspect the wiring on that sensor and it's connector.
Both.

Well, since the actuator is new - then it makes sense to start checking for wiring or connector problems.

If your tech has the Porsche DME breakout box then he can check ohms between points and verify each connection.

Loren, does Porsche sell the wiring harness from the sensor to the ECU or do you just have to find the problem and repair the wire and/or replace the connector? Edited by 2002Gt2

• 8 months later...