Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Mysterious squeal coming from engine bay

My 2000 Boxster has been making a mysterious squeal at take off for quite some time (at least 1 1/2 yrs).

It only happens at take off, and only when I goose her a bit (quick take-off).

I feel it in the clutch pedal (almost like a slip) and is making me think that this could be a bad throwout bearing?

It has not gotten any worse or better in 20K miles.

I went to my Porsche mechanic:

He said that most likely the culprit was failing accessory belt pulleys that have worn out, so that when a significant amount of torque is dumped on them they squeal.

Has anybody ever had an issue like this??

Any info is greatly appreciated !

Jim

+1 on the pulley, but if it is more of a whine it could also be the SAI pump. Various bearings including the wheels are known to make those types of noises.

It helps if you can have the car on jack stands or a lift and then go around to the various locations to see where the noise might be coming from.

It also helps if you can post a recording of the sound or video roughly from the location of it's source.

To isolate a pulley you can very briefly (just a few seconds) run the car without the serpentine belt. If the noise goes away you know it's a pulley or belt.

Edited by logray

Well the noise is gone !!

I did a series of maintenance services this weekend including a new accessory belt.

I guess Dan Jacobs was right, his first guess at the noise was a worn belt or a bad pulley.

Cheers !!

Thanks for all the input.

Your mechanic can be trusted because he did not point out to you a big job... he may be right...the belt accumulate dirt so much that over time...and its with oil, dust and all types of contaminant that are up in the air as you drive this hardens up the belts...the cheapest way is to clean the belt is with soap and water using a clean rug. You dont need to take it off the engine..You can reach it out as you scrub it back and forth...If this dont work try a pulley belt cleaner in spray can..

Its better to start with the easiest and the cheapest suspected trouble than be dreaded by all those slipping clutch, release bearing and all....believe me trust your mechanic.... the squeling sound you hear is usually when its raining and early in the morning when the belt has moist in it...When it squels the belt gets hot and dries up quick and goes to grips the pulley back again...

Edited by Loren