Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

So , I will start by telling the long story in the short version. I bought a 2002 c2 with 65k miles on it. I had to do main. on the car . For example ignition switch,keys,etc. Well now have a like "loose change" sound or something loose its coming from the front of my driver's side wheel area. So I had my mechanic put it on the lift and check it out. I should mention that I sprayed wd40 on the shock/spring and lower control arm thinking it was a bushing issue that might have gone away with it being lubed up. That really didn't work.. Well my mechanic said to me that he thinks the shock is blown cause there is fluid all over and also that the control arm is shot. I was too embarassed to tell him I sprayed wd40 on the shock area. The part oem for the control arm is 330 and labor is 90 for one hr to replace the control arm. I am not sure the shock is blown but here is what makes me wonder though if it indeed is. When I exit the car it makes a creeking noise as if i was 400 lbs (I am 190 lbs) and that by me removing myself from the seat it relieved the stress of my weight on the shock/springs. Could this sound be from the lower control arm? Also when I push down on the fender of my car on the same side where the noise comes from its makes the same noise as me exiting. Should I just invest in coilovers and replace the entire shocks n struts for like 1200 or should I replace everything with bilstein for 900 including labor? I also can do just the front two shocks ....I thought shocks were lifetime warranty?

• 2 weeks later...

I have the same sound and symptoms with my 1999 C4, which I've owned for the last 5 years (bought at 38K miles). The noise started, or I first noticed it, in February. I had all four shocks replaced last summer, 12K miles ago. I also tried WD40 and silicone sprays. I've now decided to replace the lower control arms. That should happen in two days when the parts arrive. I'll let you know if it cures mine. I'm tired of getting out of the car and it "creaking" or pushing down on either front fender and hearing all kinds of noise. (I'm also replacing all four rotors, and brake pads, at the same time -- not because of noise, but because it needs to be done.)

I've changed all the lower arms last year, there is less noise but definitively there is still noise! for 300 bucks x4 it isn't worth the money...

Edited by Doohan

I had the lower control arms changed, and at the same time the mechanic also tighten the top of the shocks. he said he thought that was causing the squeak in my 1999 C4 (with about 133K miles). In any event, the squeak is gone! It was getting really annoying and embarrassing.