Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

hood release & after market muffler

I'm learning more and generating more questions about my 2000 Cab (its a far cry from my 1981 928). I put in the litronics today, using the 9X6 video as guidance. Great video. While the lights were out, I took the opportunity to route the trunk release cable to the tow point as suggested on this forum.

Question 1: that made me wonder about the rear lid release cable, under the left taillight. Since you can't (I think) get the taillight out without the lid already open, what is the purpose of this emergency release? Anyone?

Question 2: I listened to the sound file on the Fabspeed website. Can anyone share their thoughts on the differences/similarities between the Fabspeed mufflers and the PSE?

Thanks in advance.

Kim

Re question one. The central locking system locks the engine compartment. If the battery dies you cant access the engine compartment (or trunk) to make a jump.

Its best to reroute the emergency release to the left rear quarter panel between the body and rippled heat shielding for the muffler. Place it in a location where it is accessible to you should an emergency arise.

The trunk emergency release is located under the right headlamp. Headlamp must be removed to access. Though some claim to be able to access from the wheel well between lining and front fender sheet metal. Suggest you reroute release to behind the front tow hook plug.

Its good to know in an emergency battery failure that you have access to the engine compartment and trunk areas for jump.

Jim

Jim

• Moderators

Glad you liked our amature video. Which method did you use for combining the two wires from the control unit.

On a Boxster the rear release is hidden by a heat shield. Never understood why on a 996 it is behind the tail light.

I spoke to a mechanic and he said they place a wedge between the tail light and the plastic bumper cover to create an opening so they can get a tool in there to fish the cable out.

My friend and I came up with the tow hole relocation at a BBQ many years ago. We did not have a coat hanger to fish the cable out of the hole, so I used one of the BBQ tools I bent to get in there.

<<<<The trunk emergency release is located under the right headlamp. Headlamp must be removed to access. Though some claim to be able to access from the wheel well between lining and front fender sheet metal. Suggest you reroute release to behind the front tow hook plug.>>>>>

Rather than simplly ASSUME it is difficult to get to, I suggest you take a look at the emergency release cable for the engine cover sometime. It takes no more than 1 minute to get to it and open the trunk. Simply lift the lense from the botton with a flat tool (I use a wooden paint stirrer) and grab the cable with a wire and pull. Slip the cable back under the lense and your finished. You only need to pry up the lense maybe 1/4 inch to get the cable. Use a flashlight to see the cable.

Edited by 1999Porsche911

"Question 2: I listened to the sound file on the Fabspeed website. Can anyone share their thoughts on the differences/similarities between the Fabspeed mufflers and the PSE."

I have had the old style PSE and now Fabspeeds, and Rufs a long time ago. Sound wise they all sound good, especially the PSE. However I think there are some build quality issuess on the early PSE. Fit and finish wise the fabs win hands down.

Glad you liked our amature video.  Which method did you use for combining the two wires from the control unit.

TP ... I used wire connectors to splice the connections just short of each plug.

As I said, the video was invaluable. However, when I do the OBC hack, I'm moving a TV and DVD player to the garage. Got real tired of pausing, running outside, then back in again for the next step. I had the Pelican Parts text and pics, but there is no substitute for live action.

Had to laugh during the video when I heard your neighbor (I assume) crank up his lawnmower. Maybe if you offered him a percentage, he would maintain silence during filming.

Doug ... thanks for the Fabspeed info. It does seem to sound a little more sporty than my stock mufflers.

Edited by Kim