Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a set of ramps like that I've been using for years. The Boxster is up on them right now getting an oil change. :)

They have a nice little indention so you know when the car is up to the flat surface and can't easily roll off. I'll typically get a car up there using the brake and gas simultaneously and letting off the brake to make the car move. Once I feel it get above the hump, I shift into neutral and let the car settle. Apply parking brake and get to work!

I built my own out of wood several years ago - in fact I am on my second set. The spec's are in the DIY section. Mine are two pieces and about six feet long. See DIY.

They have saved me big bucks.

Chuck Ottwell

Myrtle Beach

I had those ramps. They cracked under the weight of my 914. Now I use only metal ramps.

Interesting. I've never heard of these ramps cracking. Unless it was a different brand. Mine are made by a company called Rhino Ramps I believe.

I had those ramps. They cracked under the weight of my 914. Now I use only metal ramps.

Interesting. I've never heard of these ramps cracking. Unless it was a different brand. Mine are made by a company called Rhino Ramps I believe.

That's who made mine. It wasn't a big scary crack. In fact, I think I still used mine once or twice afterward, but still. A 914 isn't a heavy car. I now use one of these for most lifting purposes:

MaxJax

I still use metal ramps for quick n dirty oil changes.

Ramps are good. I still leave the jack uner the car as additional protection.

Porsche tires can be pretty wide... 255's on up and some ramps are too narrow. The tires will hang off the sides of the ramp.

Anyone that is contemplating purchasing ramps should take a tape measure with them to the store and make sure the ramp will

support the width of the tire.

Some ramps will "kick out" while you are driving the car on to them. Get ramps with the rubber on the bottom that prevents this from

happening.

• Upvote 1

I built my own out of wood several years ago - in fact I am on my second set. The spec's are in the DIY section. Mine are two pieces and about six feet long. See DIY.

Chuck Ottwell

Myrtle Beach

Link? I wouldn't mind making a set.

Here's the link

Chuck Ottwell

Myrtle Beach

Link? I wouldn't mind making a set.

• Upvote 1

I ues the Rhino Ramps from Pep Boys but as an added safety measure I put 2 concrete cinder blocks 1 behind each wheel to hold them in place ad it adds an extra 1.5 feet of length in case you overshoot backing up.

:)

Post a picture next time you get a chance. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...

I made mine out of 2x12's for the sides and 3/4" plywood crossmembers and top and bottom. I aslo split mine in 2 piecse. 2' under the tire and 4' for the ramp. This allows me to remove the ramp portion for easier side access. Definately stronger and cheaper than anything you can buy. I saw one guy that wired pot lights on the inside of his. great idea.