Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Foam Drain Tray Lessons Learned

Maurice suggested I post my 'lessons learned' from the experiences I had with my recently acquired 98 hobby car, specifically an issue I'd had with the foam drain tray in the soft top compartment.

If any of you have read articles here pertaining to checking and maintaining the integrity of the drain tray (making sure it has no rips or tears), believe what you read! The previous owner of my car was not much of a detail guy and when he unhooked the relevant cables and arms that allow the top to function he left them dangling. As a result the integrity of the foam drain tray was compromised resulting in water migrating into the cabin of the car. Fortunately several factors limited the resulting severity of the situation;

1. The water that ended up in the cabin was not very much. (That was just shear luck)

2. The foam under the carpet under the drivers seat soaked up what water did enter and as a result did not contaminate the black box.

3. What water was there was not there very long. (whew)

Lessons learned

1. Feel under the carpet when checking for water. The carpet is plastic backed and you won't feel any water when checking just the carpet surface.

2. Check the foam tray with a flashlight in every nook and cranny. Inspect every suspicious surface anomaly. Make note of them and inspect very closely when found to ensure a complete penetration does not exist.

3. From your findings determine the condition of the drain tray overall. Is a whole new tray warranted or will some minor plugging/patching suffice? (In this case patching and silicone did the trick.)

4. Test for integrity of the tray after repair or replacement has been undertaken.

5. Make sure the drain holes are clear.

6. Drying the cabin out under the seats is a royal pain!

7. Make drain tray inspection a regular part of your regime.

Fortunately for me it was caught very early with no real damage resulting. The beast is once again high and dry and the drain tray functioning as it should.

Now I can get back to the top issues!

Thanks Maurice for all your help.

• Thanks 1