Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Broken wheel lock key996

Hello guys. This is my first post requesting help s please bear with me if I sound like a novice (which I am !!). Trying to drain the brake fluid on y 1999 996 I broke the wheel lock key. Apparently someone used an impact tool and over torqued the bolts. This happened while trying to remove the second tire. By the way, I was unable to releasethe bleeder valve on the first tire. This care lived some of its life in Chicago and New Jersey and I have had a lot of problems with removal of bolts from the underside due to corrosion. All twelve bolts holding the headers broke while changing the headers. Going back to my question, how do I get a replacement key for the factory wheel locks? Thanks in advanced for your help

I cant say much about the wheel lock key, but I have had the situation where a bleeder valve could not be released to bleed the brakes. Outside bleeder valve on left rear brake caliper. It actually broke off during attempted removal. my inde secured the bleeder valve hole with a 5mm bolt and permatex and I've had no problems. No leaks of brake fluid. as other valves on other wheels are also apparently frozen I'll ultimately need to rebuild or replace all the calipers. This will be a pricey deal on a C4S with turbo brakes. what happened to your bleeder valve issue?

Take the car and the wheel lock to your local dealer. I just recently had the same issue and broke the key.

They have a master set of over 30 different wheel lock keys that they will have to try on your car if the lock itself has no visible #s.

The other issue is that Porsche is no longer producing most of the 996 wheel lock sets. My dealer took all of my locks off and I had to buy a new 997 set that came with a new key.

Edited by soverystout

Take the car and the wheel lock to your local dealer. I just recently had the same issue and broke the key.

They have a master set of over 30 different wheel lock keys that they will have to try on your car if the lock itself has no visible #s.

The other issue is that Porsche is no longer producing most of the 996 wheel lock sets. My dealer took all of my locks off and I had to buy a new 997 set that came with a new key.

Thank you all for your help. I called th Miami Porsche dealer and will drive there next Saturday to have this taken care of. The lock does not have a number.

Will take the car to Vertex for the bleeder issue and already warned them to have replacement valves available. Hope it does not get to the point of redoing all the calipers.