Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

soft top not going down..

I tried to look at my engine last week and tried to open up the top by pressing the button and removed all the covers ...but now i was trying to open the roof...the button seem to be not working...did i bust the fuse? I dont know if i have put back the hanging canvass cover with two cables...if not does it have an effect on the operation of the roof?

I will try to look at the fuse if its is burned...

I'll appreciate your opinion...thanks

I tried to look at my engine last week and tried to open up the top by pressing the button and removed all the covers ...but now i was trying to open the roof...the button seem to be not working...did i bust the fuse? I dont know if i have put back the hanging canvass cover with two cables...if not does it have an effect on the operation of the roof?

I will try to look at the fuse if its is burned...

I'll appreciate your opinion...thanks

:welcome: to Renntech

To open the top:

1. Turn ignition on (engine running or off)

2. Set emergency brake

3. push the latch open so the hook (claw) on the top disengages with the catch above the mirror

4. Activate dash push button rocker switch

To close the top:

1. Turn ignition on (engine running or off)

2. Set emergency brake

3. Activate dash push button rocker switch

4. Secure catch and lock into place

Relay is in Relay panel 1 above and to the right of the fuse panel by driver's left ankle

and is in socket 14 and 15

Fuse (D3) is in Row D number 3 slot and fuse is a 30 AMP fuse

Regarding the 2 cables, take the ball on the cable of the cable and press hard on the smaller ball attached to the frame. You will hear it snap into place. Practice a few times so that you know what it sounds and feels like.

Edited by kbrandsma

I dont know if i have put back the hanging canvass cover with two cables...if not does it have an effect on the operation of the roof?

Rey: The "hanging canvass cover with two cables has no effect on allowing the roof to get power, but should be hung in its correct location. Hanging it in the correct location will prevent possible damage to it or other moving parts and, most importantly, serves to direct any water or rain away from the electric motor and rear of the convertible top well. It also channels water to the drain holes located in the foam drain tray(s).

Also, make absolutely certain that the idiot light for the emergency brake is on after you have pulled up on the emergency brake.

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir

thanks guys for helping me on that...really appreciate it...its now working...i didnt realiazed that i wasnt doing the requirement prior to opening up the top...i forgot i have to keep the engine running since its the engine that drives the gear...ha ha ha..plus i have to get the handbrake engage...i am getting old..i was embarrassed when i could not get that thing down and the girl besides me laugh me off and said i have to get it fixed...i get stupid sometimes...sign of old age...ha ha ha...thanks guys for your good advice...i will remember you names...

thanks guys for helping me on that...really appreciate it...its now working...i didnt realiazed that i wasnt doing the requirement prior to opening up the top...i forgot i have to keep the engine running since its the engine that drives the gear...ha ha ha..plus i have to get the handbrake engage...i am getting old..i was embarrassed when i could not get that thing down and the girl besides me laugh me off and said i have to get it fixed...i get stupid sometimes...sign of old age...ha ha ha...thanks guys for your good advice...i will remember you names...

Rey:

The only "engine" that has to be running to get the top in motion is the electric motor that resides just ahead of the third brake light.

That electric motor drives the two transmissions (one left, and one right, bolted to the inside of the rear quarter panel) through the respective left and right drive cables.

The transmission on each side then rotates the V-lever that is bolted onto its respective face, which V-lever then moves the front and the rear ( black "hydraulic") pushrods.

Each of the two pushrods on each side then acts on the clamshell (black "hydraulic" pushrod) and on the convertible top frame (front pushrod with plastic ball cup) via the steel ball that is bolted onto the base/underside of each B-Pillar by means of a thin nut.

As for old age..."It happens to the best of us"! :drive:

Regards, Maurice.

Edited by 1schoir