Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Roof Placement\Adjustment

Hi all I am looking for some recommended steps on adjusting my roof so that it opens and closes cleanly and correctly and is aligned on both sides.

Long story short I replaced my split screen 00 roof with that from a glass screened 04 car and during the replacement I stupidly disconnected the arms from the ball joint end without marking where they were (I had read all of the instructions and knew to mark them but forgot as I only disconnected them as I couldn’t get the ball joints on again by hand!).

The roof works in that it opens and closes quite smoothly, there are no leaks and the clamshell sits right but on the way back, if I don't move the handle out of the way it catches the Plexiglas wind deflector in between the roll over hoops and on the way forward the roof is pulling away from the head rail before the cycle stops and I need to manually put the hook into the hole to tighten the handle.

Also, the window follows the door frame (on the roof) perfectly on the right hand side (from the back of the car) but there is a gap between the window and the frame on the left hand side of the car although the left side hits the windscreen head rail before the right?

To resolve these issues what are the best adjustments to make? The ball joints themselves tightening or loosening them, the length of the arms that the ball joints are on, the frame position itself (governed by the 3 14mm bolts to attach it to the body) or will adjusting the rear bow cable tension by turning the 14mm bolt clockwise our counter clockwise help ?

I have tried making all of the above adjustments except the tension cable so far but nothing seems to get the roof in the correct place.

Can anyone offer any help or advice. I am thinking of taking the roof off completely and starting again at the weekend so any help on how to work out where the roof should be positioned initially and how to set up the length of the arms correctly (if there is a way rather than just trial and error).

Thanks in advance