Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

987 Trivia

• Replies 96
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

so on p 48 of my 2005 owners manual, it shows that, but in my car, it doesn't.

"Note: The key switch and the warning light "PASSENGER AIRBAG OFF" are not installed at the factory. They can be retrofitted at your authorized Porsche dealer."

Are these now being fitted from the factory?

<edit> and if so, did I ruin a good trivia question? ;-)

Edited by mbodo

The bypass switch is an option for both 05 and 06 cars. Its a key operated switch in on the passenger side dash to disable the passenger airbag. It seems that some earlier cars didn't come with the light to notify when it was deactivated. The newer cars seem to have the light, even if they have the deactivation switch or not. The cars that didn't come with the light had to have the center console removed where on the backside there was a cutout for installation of the light.

Edited by PTEC

The bypass switch is an option for both 05 and 06 cars. Its a key operated switch in on the passenger side dash to disable the passenger airbag.  It seems that some earlier cars didn't come with the light to notify when it was deactivated.  The newer cars seem to have the light, even if they have the deactivation switch or not.  The cars that didn't come with the light had to have the center console removed where on the backside there was a cutout for installation of the light.

I believe the '06 Boxster and 911 come standard with a weight sensor in the passenger seat that will turn off the passenger airbag if the weight is less than 100 lbs, or something like that. I have not seen anything from Porsche on this yet but my dealer has been testing it and this is the story from him.

Hardtop might no be bad since it looks like Porsche is using shoelaces for the soft top.

Ah! I've seen the same thing on a new boxster. I guess its a tension rope for one of the folds in the fabric. The string is crimped to an elastic section but the crimp is weak and the string comes apart. The string has been redesigned as a result.

• 3 weeks later...
Out of curiosity, what does the hard top do for ride noise?  I'm assuming it would be slightly more insulated than the soft top.

Any comments on ease of installation/removal?

I collected my 987S in June with the hardtop factory fitted. I removed the top after a few days, as the English summer had arrived. It is very easy to do: remove the cover plate where the soft-top latch release is hidden, release the latch and turn two levers behind the offside of each passenger seat. Find a buddy to help you and then slide the top rearwards about 12", disconnect the window heater loom behind the passenger seat, then lift the top away. It takes less than 2 minutes.

Refitting is the exact reverse of the above, except that you need to be careful about getting the alignment right before sliding the top forward into the top rail lugs. Put something across the rear panel ( behind the rear windscreen) to allow you to rest the weight and make adjustments without scratches or damage. Even so, refitting takes less than 10 minutes.

In comparison to the soft-top, the hard-top definitely cuts down upon the wind noise and the cabin has a feeling of more light and space, mainly due to the very big rear window and parcel shelf area. The soft-top has a noticeable amount of wind-noise ( on my car, at least) along the side windows, plus a whistle from the side mirror mounts. I think that the gap between the two arms supporting the door mirror are ducting air onto the rear door window frame (as well as producing the whistling noise).This is not apparent with the hard-top fitted.

I think the hard-top looks great, although removal and fitting is definitely not something you can do single handed. Who needs a Cayman??

Out of curiosity, what does the hard top do for ride noise?  I'm assuming it would be slightly more insulated than the soft top.

I collected my 987S in June with the hardtop factory fitted. I removed the top after a few days, as the English summer had arrived. It is very easy to do: remove the cover plate where the soft-top latch release is hidden, release the latch and turn two levers behind the offside of each passenger seat. Find a buddy to help you and then slide the top rearwards about 12", disconnect the window heater loom behind the passenger seat, then lift the top away. It takes less than 2 minutes.

Refitting is the exact reverse of the above, except that you need to be careful about getting the alignment right before sliding the top forward into the top rail lugs. Put something across the rear panel ( behind the rear windscreen) to allow you to rest the weight and make adjustments without scratches or damage. Even so, refitting takes less than 10 minutes.

In comparison to the soft-top, the hard-top definitely cuts down upon the wind noise and the cabin has a feeling of more light and space, mainly due to the very big rear window and parcel shelf area. The soft-top has a noticeable amount of wind-noise ( on my car, at least) along the side windows, plus a whistle from the side mirror mounts. I think that the gap between the two arms supporting the door mirror are ducting air onto the rear door window frame (as well as producing the whistling noise).This is not apparent with the hard-top fitted.

I think the hard-top looks great, although removal and fitting is definitely not something you can do single handed. Who needs a Cayman??

(edit - incomplete images removed - Loren)

• 2 months later...
Hardtop might no be bad since it looks like Porsche is using shoelaces for the soft top.

I've had the shoe lace problem (is it common?) on my 987....... basically its a crappy thin elastic cord that runs across inside the soft-top, when it stretches or snaps (as happened to mine) it tends to get trapped when you close the top :censored:

I just pushed mine out of the way with the hood half up. It broke within two weeks of delivery :lol:

• 3 years later...
What changed for 2006 compared to 2005 in this picture?  Picture is a 2006.

no more rubber plug for faux dipstick?

That is it. 2005 had a rubber plug for where the dipstick would be. No plug on the 2006s I looked at. As a joke I was going to take the dipstick from my 986, remove the plug on a 987, put my dipstick in and take a picture. But the 2006s at my dealer had no plug.

The picture below is a 2005 with the plug removed.

Is it possible to use a 986 dipstick on in a 2005 Boxster via the plug? If so, can you leave the dipstick in at all times?

I like the zeintop, although the cheapest I've seen it is around $3500. You can expect $4500 in general.

edit: ah wait, looks like they lowered their retail price to $3500 + shipping!

post-32356-1247241865_thumb.jpg

Edited by stef

• 4 weeks later...