Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Power Windows not working

Folks,

I really need your help with the possible diagnosis here.

Here is what it appears to be,

1) Windows move up/down when the doors are opened.

2) Fuse for Power Windows Front (D1) looks good.

3) Both windows are not working with the buttons! BOTH at the same time?

4) Due to the 1xxF in Phoenix these days, I tend to leave the windows down a bit so that air can circulate in/out of the car. Could it have burnt out something?

At 1xxF here in Phoenix, while the AC is a given all the time, it would very useful to keep the windows down a bit too.

Appreciate your insights here.

Best regards,

Edited by shyster77

Problem just got even more interesting,

1) Door lights (the ones that light up when the doors are open) aren't working

2) Center reading light isn't working either.

Clearly the problem is coming down to electrical.

Two questions, if you would help here,

1) Can a weak battery disable functioning of certain electrical components?

2) Is there is a central relay of sorts that will need to be replaced that can take care of these three non-functioning components (Power windows, door lights, center reading light)?

Appreciate your thoughts, very much, folks!

Edited by shyster77

I've read reports about unusual electrical problems related to the ignition switch going bad but I don't know if that's really your problem or not. You could try wiggling the key a little to see if it temporarily improves the operation.

I've read reports about unusual electrical problems related to the ignition switch going bad but I don't know if that's really your problem or not. You could try wiggling the key a little to see if it temporarily improves the operation.

Dale - This insight is very helpful. Just got back from the battery shop and the battery is alright. Let me investigate your view point further.

Solved!

It was a fuse, after all - C3 which covers internal lighting and the power windows(!).

The confusing part was cos the fuse diagram listed D1 for Power Windows and that looked fine.

Now the little fella can actually breathe in the 1xxF outside! Whew! :beer:

****. I am having the exact same issue, and I got excited to see you fixed it. But it appears that my fuses are all just fine..

Both windows not working at the same time, insinuates a central issue somewhere - unless of course, real bad luck and two motors or regulators are out, at once!

Do the windows lower when the doors are opened? If yes, regulators should be good. Mine did.

Do the windows lower when the convertible latch is undone? If not, bad motors/bad wires/bad window buttons is all I can come up with. Mine didn't, which led to the electrical issue identification.

Try swapping out the (C3 and D1) fuses for other ones, check battery charge, battery disconnect and reconnect after a few mins and press down the close end of the window buttons for a few seconds, check microswitch at the latch (using a pen, to see if it pulls down the windows) - some of the checks that I came across my research while debugging this one.

Hope this helps.

****. I am having the exact same issue, and I got excited to see you fixed it. But it appears that my fuses are all just fine..

Both windows not working at the same time, insinuates a central issue somewhere - unless of course, real bad luck and two motors or regulators are out, at once!

Do the windows lower when the doors are opened? If yes, regulators should be good. Mine did.

Do the windows lower when the convertible latch is undone? If not, bad motors/bad wires/bad window buttons is all I can come up with. Mine didn't, which led to the electrical issue identification.

Try swapping out the (C3 and D1) fuses for other ones, check battery charge, battery disconnect and reconnect after a few mins and press down the close end of the window buttons for a few seconds, check microswitch at the latch (using a pen, to see if it pulls down the windows) - some of the checks that I came across my research while debugging this one.

Hope this helps.

The drivers side window lowers and raises straight away when you open the door handle (interior + exterior). If you hold the handles open, it stays lowered. The passenger side window stays down until the door is closed.

The windows don't move at all when the top goes down. Nothing happens at all. I might try and replace that switch...

I have ordered 1 replacement dock lock mechanism to see if that fixes any issues. The window switches do nothing.

Are you saying that if I unpress the little button where the convertible top latches in, the windows should drop? (sorry, they have never worked!).

Thank you!

• 3 weeks later...

Hope this helps.

The drivers side window lowers and raises straight away when you open the door handle (interior + exterior). If you hold the handles open, it stays lowered. The passenger side window stays down until the door is closed.

The windows don't move at all when the top goes down. Nothing happens at all. I might try and replace that switch...

I have ordered 1 replacement dock lock mechanism to see if that fixes any issues. The window switches do nothing.

Are you saying that if I unpress the little button where the convertible top latches in, the windows should drop? (sorry, they have never worked!).

Thank you!

Hi - sorry I had typed a response but for some reason had been posted.

Your drivers side window behavior once hit me too - it may be a faulty regulator (cos that ensures the movement of the window when the door handle is pulled or when the convertible is unlatched) or in my case, it was a misaligned regulator. But to me, it would be a minor inconvenience though - <_<

Eliminating that as a point issue, since your passenger window moves down/up when the door is opened, all your internal lighting work (reading light, light on the doors which illuminate when the doors are opened, too?

Edited by shyster77

• 10 years later...

Same Problem. First nice day we've had. I uncovered the car ('97 986 Base) to run it. Windows won't work. Won't lower to open/close the doors, won't lower to put the top up/down, switches don't work. Everything worked fine when I parked it in November.

When Opening the door (from inside or out) & hear the "click" in the door.

When Operating the Switches, same thing

When Lowering the top, same thing.

When activating the Courtesy Window function via Durametric computer, same thing

Fuses D1 & C3 are fine.

Push Button "Reset", no use

Push on window while actuating switch, no use.

Microswitches in Top Latch seem to be working fine.

Over winter the battery had discharged. Recharged and placed on battery maintainer. I highly doubt two window regulators would go at once with no warning. Locking button on dash doesn't work and car doesn't want to lock via the fob. Could these be related? Immobilizer was replaced last year. Every thing worked fine, til now.

Thoughts, Ideas, similar issues solved please.

• 1 year later...

Did you ever get this resolved JPsummers? I've just bought a 1999 boxster and got exact same issues as yourself. I can shut my drivers window by holding key in door lock but passenger window doesn't budge. No windows move when I press the window switches but I can hear clicking from each door. Any help would be appreciated 

All fuses are fine