Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag light after seat removal

Good morning,

I have a dashboard airbag warning light on in my 04 Cayenne Turbo, and have been to a local shop to have it reset. Apparently the fault is persistent - as soon as it is cleared it reappears. I suspected perhaps the seatbelt, which seems a fairly common source of this warning, but the fault reads: Control module faulty - upper limit value exceeded, test conditions are not completed, fault is currently active and causing a DTC light. I now suspect the problem began when I was working on an unrelated electrical problem. At that time the battery was disconnected, multiple harnesses and fuses were removed, and at least at one point, one seat was fully removed - definitely while the key was in the ignition, possibly even while the car was running. I understand that this may have caused the fault, but need help resolving it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Mark

The shop attempted the reset when they did the scan for me. They used a Durametric setup to do the scan, so my first question would be is that different than the PIWIS tester, or will the PIWIS tester have a different result when attempting to reset the fault?

Furthermore, there is no specific code on the printout the shop gave me, it gives me a part number, a controller ID, then under Current Fault Codes it says 3: then gives the description I provided above.

The only possible clue to the specific fault code that I can see is at the bottom of the page, where there is a web address of the report - at the end it says:...\955-Airbag_FaultCode.html. Perhaps 955 is the error code?

Let me know if that helps.

Mark

I thought that may be the case, but wanted to make sure it was not all my dis-connecting and re-connecting that had caused the issue. I can also remember disconnecting the unit itself at some point. I will go back and check it to see if I bent any pins or if the plugs are not seated properly. If I recall, it is under the center console - just behind the shifter.

If that changes anything, let me know. Otherwise I will post back any developments.

Thanks,Mark

I wish I would have know that, rookie mistake I suppose. In your opinion, given the scan details, do you feel that removing the seat and turning on the ignition would have caused a hard code to be registered in the control unit - something that could be cleared by a reset - or that the control unit itself is permanently damaged or defective? The difference is significant: $100 versus $1300.

Regards,

Mark

• Admin

Well, if you can not reset it with a PIWIS tester then you will need to replace it. These are sensitive trigger units and I don't think they like voltage spikes - as I have see this sort of problem before on both the sports cars and Cayennes.

Thanks, for the assistance.

Let me make sure I understand you clearly: the technician that performed the scan attempted to clear the code, after which he said that it just came back up instantly - but you are indicating to reset the ecu. Are those the same things, or should I be asking them specifically to "reset the control unit", then to "clear the code" via the PIWIS tester?

Just making sure I am clear.

Thanks,

Mark

• Admin

DME is not part of the error - the error is only reported through the DME.

The error is generated in the airbag control box (not the DME) and that is what needs to be reset. I only suggest attempting a reset with PIWIS as last ditch effort before buying a new control unit.

• 11 months later...