Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Upgrade Stereo!

Greetings fellow Porsche owners. :thumbup:

I purchased a 1999 Porsche Boxster last year and since the Winter has arrived it's time to upgrade the stereo system in it. Currently it has a AM/FM cassette. :cursing:

Looking for your thoughts on which system would be best. I've visited Crutchfield.com and they have 4 models that they say will fit my Porsche.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YL5Do5mxfd6/c...?g=143350&avf=Y

Also a Pac OEM2 is required.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YL5Do5mxfd6/c...w.asp?i=127OEM2

All the helpful advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I know allot of you have upgraded many things to your Porsches and although I don't post much I have read some of the great tips you have had to offer.

I've also seen in some of the pics of your Porsches that you have already have upgraded systems.

Anyone interested in some used Cassette tapes? :rolleyes:

If you are into sound quality try Alpine.

I have Alpine 9833 player (player + 50w amp) with Focal two way coaxial speakers on my 996 (they will fit). Also had even better experience with Alpine CD player/Preamp 7995 (hard to find now) + separate amplifier.

If you need GPS, I heard Pioneer is the top player.

• 2 months later...
Greetings fellow Porsche owners.  :thumbup:

I purchased a 1999 Porsche Boxster last year and since the Winter has arrived it's time to upgrade the stereo system in it. Currently it has a AM/FM cassette.  :cursing:

Looking for your thoughts on which system would be best. I've visited Crutchfield.com and they have 4 models that they say will fit my Porsche.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YL5Do5mxfd6/c...?g=143350&avf=Y

Also a Pac OEM2 is required.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-YL5Do5mxfd6/c...w.asp?i=127OEM2

All the helpful advice you can give would be greatly appreciated. I know allot of you have upgraded many things to your Porsches and although I don't post much I have read some of the great tips you have had to offer.

I've also seen in some of the pics of your Porsches that you have already have upgraded systems.

Anyone interested in some used Cassette tapes?  :rolleyes:

Are you still looking for a system? I have a HarmonKardon Navigation AM/FM CDR.

Brand new and still in the box with all of the maps and manual. Also have the rear speaker up grades,(brand new). I will let it all go for $700 plus shipping. Also have the CDC-3 Changer with bracket and cable for $350.

• 3 months later...
Greetings fellow Porsche owners.  :thumbup:

I purchased a 1999 Porsche Boxster last year and since the Winter has arrived it's time to upgrade the stereo system in it. Currently it has a AM/FM cassette.

How did your stereo upgrade go? I have a 2001 Boxster with a Becker CDR-220 and speakers only in the upper dash.

Flyinglow

• 1 month later...

I bought an Alpine TV/ DVD/ Windows Media Player that works great just that this unit puts out a lot more power than the stock stereo. So i need to replace the stock speakers to get better sound. Any suggestions on what size speakers they are on the dash and the doors. thankspost-6203-1125434936.jpg

Hi LaBoxster,

The dashtop speaker grille will accept a 1" tweeter and 4" mid driver however you will need to modify the grille. This is because the grille comes with latches for the factory drivers. I got my installer to remove both drivers and replace it with a Dynaudio Esotec (MD-130) tweeter. This is a high-end audiophile quality tweeter. The advantage of this tweeter is that it plays very low and has a typical smooth Dynaudio sound. The disadvantage is that it needs powerful amplification, and it's rather big - it's bigger than the factory 4" mid driver!

I elected not to install a midrange driver in the dash however I will probably go ahead and do it. My installer says there is enough space for another 4" mid driver in there.

If your car came with the Porsche upgraded sound system, you will have door pods for a woofer. I have installed a 6" woofer in each door pod (Dynaudio MW-160) with sound deadening. No modification was required.

Of course you may not want to go with Dynaudio - these speakers sound great but they are expensive and difficult to drive. FYI Morel makes a direct "drop in" replacement for the dash tweets and midrange. I have never auditioned this setup but Morel has a very good reputation.

I highly recommend that you install an amplifier. The head unit does not have enough balls to drive the speakers. If you stick with the HU amp, you will find that when your music gets loud or complicated your amp will start to clip - you hear crackles in your speakers. Even at normal listening levels the speakers will sound like they are "shouting". Give them proper amplification and you will get a nice effortless sound.