Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Serious problem.. after oil change 04CS

If you've rounded the drain plug, you've got a few options. One would be to take your dremel and notch the plug so you can get a BIG screwdriver in there and turn it. However, you run the risk of cutting into the pan by accident if you are not extremely careful, or not being able to turn it if you can't get enough force with a screwdriver.

What I've done in the past is to get the next size down socket (or possibly even the right size if it's rounded just right) and gently hammer it onto the bolt head. You have to be very careful doing this so you don't mess up the drain plug threads. Once the socket is on good and tight, it will either turn that bolt/plug, or break the socket, and I doubt you tightened it enough to break a socket!

Good luck!

someone suggested that I could use JB WELD and an allen wrench I don't mind wasting... Just let the allen wrench "set" in the hole... and then break it loose. Obviously the wrench would be toast. ( I have one I'd be thrilled to lose if it would work) Based on what I've read it looks like it might work even with the plug being aluminum. still no luck on the Viton washer... been all over town.:cursing:

If you've rounded the drain plug, you've got a few options. One would be to take your dremel and notch the plug so you can get a BIG screwdriver in there and turn it. However, you run the risk of cutting into the pan by accident if you are not extremely careful, or not being able to turn it if you can't get enough force with a screwdriver.

What I've done in the past is to get the next size down socket (or possibly even the right size if it's rounded just right) and gently hammer it onto the bolt head. You have to be very careful doing this so you don't mess up the drain plug threads. Once the socket is on good and tight, it will either turn that bolt/plug, or break the socket, and I doubt you tightened it enough to break a socket!

Good luck!

That might work, but not sure you could get enough JB weld on it to hold. I think you would be better off getting a hex key that is slightly bigger and tapping it in with a hammer to fit, but that has drawbacks as I said previously. You just removed it for changing the oil, did you use a torque wrench to tighten it? It's only supposed to be like 35ft lbs or something like that. If it is really stuck you can heat up the plug with a propane torch to loosen it, but I always consider that a last resort.

Can you post pics of what you're working with?

Edited by UTRacerX9

It was tightened by hand but not excessively. I also have some eaze-outs that might work but the JB thing sounded pretty easy. i can try to get some pictures but it would be tomorrow evening before I can get back to the shop. Kinda been holding off doing anything until I can find a way to seal this thing up

Edited by jplumlee

There are specialty sockets available at Sears (and probably other vendors) with teeth on the inside. You tap them on to the round exterior edge of the drain plug, the teeth grab and grab tighter as you turn anti-clockwise and spin it off. Much less likely to break then an EZOut in a shallow hex recess. I have also known people to tap in a Torx driver slightly oversize in an allen (hex) bolt and it grips enough (cutting into the metal) that you can spin it out. If the hex recess is stripped - at some point in time, it was overtightened.

You do have a torque wrench right? Usually crush washer applications have an initial torque, then a final torque setting. First seats the washer, second crushes it slightly to make the seal. I doubt if the JBWeld would work - since there is going to be some residual oil on the bolt no matter how clean it is when you start (you mentioned it leaks when the engine isn't running..) You can't epoxy to oil.

• Admin

UTRacerX9 and deilenberger,

Please re-read the board Guidelines/Rules:

"Please remember, posting is a privilege! While we encourage free thinking, speech and expressions, taking it to the edge can be harmful to others, as well as yourself. So let cooler heads prevail, and we will all be better for it."

"If you feel the need to flame other individuals, companies or message boards then your participation will not be welcome here. "

Please keep this topic ON topic - thanks.

Let's try to help the original poster please.

• Upvote 1