Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

A/C not blowing very cold air

Guys;

I need help on my diagnosis. I'm not using the A/C very often. Lets say maybe 5 days during the 6 months my Boxster is out of hibernation. The compressor and both condenser fans looks to run fine running fine. When I put compressor on and touch both refriderant pipes in the fresh air inlet section, I can feel the refrigerant circulating. Took the pressure and it was around 32 PSi with 65F. outside, fan at max speed and requested temp at minimum. I did mesure 59F. at discharge grills in the car with an electronic temperature reader with remote sensor. Another clue, when the compressor is running and I touch both refrigerant pipes, I don't feel any change or difference in temperature between both pipes.

Any idea what's happen?

Tks

From what I understand, relative inactivity is the curse of A.C. systems. An AC system should be run every month. The problem, could be one or more of a handful of seals that dry up and leak without the lubrication's carried along with coolant. Your AC system.

Regards, PK

More details....

Ok I made a test this morning. Was 82F. in the car. Start it and put requested temperature setpoint to minimum. Fan ramp up at MAX and the system goes by itself in recyrc mode.

It looks like the air that is supplied in the car is much much colder on the driver side compare to central and passenger side! With 63F. outside, I get 50F. at driver side supply grills (left side of the steering wheel), I get 63F. center vents and finally 68 at passenger righ side grill. Do you understand something? My car is a 2003 Boxster and there is not driver/passenger seperate HVAC controls... Maybe I miss something?

Thierry

I sure as heck dont mean to rub it in at all but My 99 Boxster blows amazingly cold for how old it is and I have never had to do anything to it....The one thing it is doing now is making a noise from the blower like something is hitting the fan ....I heard the foam seal is probably the problem..It comes free and lays on the fan...Just another future DIY...

post-72960-0-63729400-1316921386_thumb.j

A/C stuff is generic in the sense that a shop that does A/C work should be able to work on any kind of car. To the OP I'd say it's worth taking to a shop. I think it ought to cost about $100 to evacuate the system and put in a measured refrigerant charge. That is pretty likely to have the car blowing ice cubes when they're finished. I had good luck at the fast oil change place when the A/C in my old Sebring was getting weak. You really won't know what you've got until you know positively that the charge level is right.

Tolum

I have noticed my AC was weaker and was holding 32psi in the line like yours so I originally figured no problem there since its within the range. Yesterday I finally added more R134A and the line pressure is now 37-38psi at idle at about 70F outside and it blows MUCH colder than ever. This might be worth a shot after I originally thought the pressure was high enough to indicate neither of us was low. GL.

Edited by ABQautoxer

I did buy a can of R134A with oil from Interdynamics. I'll wait for a hotter day and give my A/C a shot and rise the pressure a little and ckeck air supply temp. at the same time to see any improvement. I'll keep you in touch.

Thanks a lot.

Thierry