Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

cabriolet question

twiglet

I have been lucky enough to upgrade this week to an '09 turbo cab. The weather has been good for a few days but is turning to colder and snowy. This is my first experience with a rag-top and wanted to hear some opinions about the care of the convertible top (I found the little label that says not to open the top under 0 C. I am not in shape to pick up a hardtop right now (and none in stock locally anyway) after dropping the $$ for the snow tires. I am planning to drive this year round so any suggestions from how to take it through the car wash on up would be great.

Simon

post-32577-0-82319500-1320084812_thumb.j

I'm also from the Great White North (Edmonton). I plan on driving my '08 Turbo cab until the snow is so high that I turn into a snow plow. Given that I access my garage through a back lane, that will be sooner than those with front drive garages.

Besides the RaggTopp, the only thing I would suggest is that you not take your car to a regular car wash, but to wash it at a wand-wash spot yourself. That way you can dry your top quite well before venturing into the below zero weather.

HI Alex,

thanks for the advice. Just got the winter rubber on and planning to drive year round. May need to replace the snow plow at the front as it is much lower than the lip on the prior C4S. Not much in the way of the true handwash places here in Cowtown, mostly the touchless or do-it-yourself pressure wash bays. I will though be going mostly from underground heated to heated spots, not very much sitting around outside. Any concern about the top soaking up moisture if it gets snowed on?

cheers,

Simon

Hi Simon,

Don't be concerned with the top soaking moisture. The great engineers at Porsche have ensured the fabric they use can withstand rain, sleet, and snow. If your top does get a little wet it will dry out in the heated parking spots you frequent. Enjoy your Turbo cab this winter. I'm afraid with the snowfall that we've had recently, I've already put my baby into hibernation. I was hoping to drive it until Dec 1, but them's the breaks.

TTFN

Alex

PS. I am in Calgary frequently, visiting relatives or driving through to the mountains. If you ever see a cobalt blue cab with tan interior, give me a wave, or better still, stop me for a chat. I'll watch out for you. The trouble is, there are a lot more black turbos than blue ones, so I won't know if it's you or not. Perhaps we should create a secret hand signal or something? ;)

Too bad about the snow. We are due for a chinook, up to 10 by Wednesday so slushy mushy days ahead. I have done the Ragg Top treatment so will see how that goes. Likely a trip to the car wash by the weekend, already a bit on the dirty side.

My first choice was the blue as well, but the "right" black one came along. Plenty black ones around but it seems that nobody takes their tops down unless sunny (not too sunny), not windy and about 22-24 degrees....so my "secret" sign may just be a wave overtop of the windshield!

Thinking about it more, if it is not too splashy wet out I will be top down for anything over 5 this week.

Simon

I am big fan of top-down driving. If it's not raining or snowing my top is down. Keeping warm? Thats what the heater and heated seats are for. I even keep my sun roof open in my winter sedan if it's not snowing. I guess 30+ years of running has made me a big fan of fresh air.

Good for you if you have your top down this week.

Alex

]well, there is no snow just a bunch of wind and above zero here so top down all week. So top down in the afternoons, a little chilly going to work before the sun comes up. I have not been brave enough to go the the car wash though.

Simon

post-32577-0-31547300-1322415872_thumb.j

• Upvote 1