Jump to content

Server Lease Renewal/Software Licenses

Our yearly server lease, software licenses, as well as hardware operating costs, ARE due Dec 6th, 2021. Our current donations have fallen far short of the funds we need to renew. Please remember the RennTech.org community is Member supported so please consider a donation to help...  THANK YOU!

Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

  • View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

  • No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM 2.1 - Strange characters when playing MP3s


Recommended Posts

I have a PCM 2.1 (SW4.0) system which can play MP3s. However when playing a track I get the folder name, and then weird characters (see picture) instead of the artist/track name.

Even stranger is that the system can clearly read the MP3s ID3 tag because it shows the track name if I go to track list (see picture).

These MP3s were bought through iTunes or ripped from CD using iTunes. I can also confirm that they all have ID3v1 and ID3v2 tags in them.

Has anyone else had this issue (preferably with a solution)? I'm going to try burning a disk with MP3s that have just ID3v1 tags. But I don't think this is the issue as the track screen works correctly.

Does anyone know what should be shown here? Is it just the track name or should it be track name/artist?

Correct folder screen:

post-32638-0-21387200-1320166929_thumb.j

Correct track list screen:

post-32638-0-08902400-1320166948_thumb.j

Weird Audio screen:

post-32638-0-02334700-1320166961_thumb.j

Edited by ateece
Link to comment
Share on other sites

iTunes can't be truely different to MP3s otherwise they wouldnt work on MP3 players, media player, etc.

However the ID3v2 standard allows for "bespoke" metadata fields to be written. It also supports unicode and removes most if not all of the limits of ID3v1. iTunes works primerily with ID3v2, however I used MP3 tagging software to make sure all my music is (as far as I can tell) perfectly tagged. Everything has the right artist, album artist, album art, track number, compilation flag, etc, etc.

I am burning a disk now where I have removed the ID3v2 tag entirely and they just have ID3v1 tags which are likly to be more compatible. I think that either no-one else has experianced this or no-one else has the IT knoweldge to debug the issue.

Once I have some conclusions I'll post back in an attempt to help anyone else who faces this issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Right. More reading.

My MP3 Tag program (mp3tag - open source) allows me to set the ID3v2 Tag format. There are 2 unicode options and 1 non-unicode. Looking in the help explicitly mentions car radios!

"

ID3v2.4 UTF-8

newest revision of the ID3v2 standard. Tags are written in Unicode as UTF-8 encoded string. If you have problems with displaying the tags in other programs, please aks their authors to support ID3v2.4 (or switch to another option).

ID3v2.3 UTF-16

if enabled, Mp3tag writes ID3v2.3 tags in Unicode encoded as UTF-16 LE.

ID3v2.3 ISO-8859-1

if enabled, Mp3tag doesn't use Unicode when writing ID3v2 tags. This is useful if you are using software or devices (like some car radios) which can't read tags stored in Unicode format."

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Hopefully the final reply on this topic. I'm only posted now so that the solution is clear incase someone else faces this issue.

The problem was Unicode characters in the ID3v2 tag (which is a ID3v2.4 feature). You can actually fix this in iTunes by selecting the track, right clicking and selecting "Convert ID3 Tags". There is a tick box for "Reverse Unicode" which will make sure unicode is only used if requried (because the track title, etc has non ASCII characters such as chinese symbols). You can also specify the ID3 tag version. I believe 2.3 doesn't support Unicode so will be the most compatible with PCM systems.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.