Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Airbag Fault - Loss connection under driver seat?

My 2005 Cayenne S just had a "Airbag Fault" light on yesterday. I don't have a Durametic so I don't know the code yet. After searching and found this problem is very common. Other owener reported that the problem was caused by a connector under the driver seat. Dealer just replaced the pin or connector. I check under the driver seat and there are few connectors. Does anyone know which connector I should try? I want to see if that is the cause before getting my Durametric or should head to the dealer. Thanks.

• Moderators

There are several possibilities, therefor it is not advisable to tamper with the wiring's or connectors before the error code is stored in a diagnostic tool. When a connector is disconnected (power/ground interruption) the code will be lost and everything seems normal while that is not so. First thing to do is Read and Note the code(s)

I received the Durametric tool today. The Fault Code is:

1217:

Side airbag triggering unit driver's Upper limit value exceeded.

When I checked the Actual Values

the "Resistance - drive's side airbage" value is "too big".

See if anyone could help before contacting the dealer. Thanks.

Thank you Loren,

I just got it fixed. I had checked that TSB before and my VIN isn't on the list. I searched and found this the following article. I followed the direction and got the problem fixed. When I worked on the wire, the wire/connector has electric tape wrapped (very Mickey Mouse job) and had been worked on before. That could be the TSB has applied on my 05 and that's why the VIN is not listed for the TSB. I crimped the connector and read the value again with the Durametric tool and read "Correct". After that, I clear the code and everything is okay. Other said it may become loss again later and to have it solder is the best solution.

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-cayenne/529043-side-airbag-fault-warning.html

In case other has this problem in the future, the wire & connector can be access at the back of the driver seat. No need to remove any bolt or trim. I spent over an hour at the front with no progress until found the wire at the back.

Thank you again to everyone.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

After one year of problem free, the Airbag Fault light happens again. I plug in the Durametric tool and it has the same code as before P1217. Then when I try to read the value, it is different than last time. I got "too big" at Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre). Does anyone know where should I start to look? Thanks.

George

• Moderators

Are all of the yellow connectors, under and on de backside of the seat, removed and the wiring soldered? If yes, check the battery, load tested etc. A lesser battery gets all sorts of weird symptoms, including airbag faults.

Update!

The battery is fully charged and all plugs under seat were checked. I recrimped the wire I fixed last year. Then I tried to clear the code with Durametric tool and the code is cleared. I check and there is no more Airbag Fault code.

Then I read the vaule of "Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre)" for the Airbag and it still show "too big".

I drove the car for about 20 miles and the Airbag Fault didn't come back. I read the value again today and the "Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre)" still show too big.

Maybe this is normal has nothing to do with the code I had yesterday. Can someone verify the "Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre)" should read "correct" or "too big" from the Durametic Tool?

BTW, vehicle is a 2005 Cayenne S with Durametric software 6.3.1.7. Thanks.

• 1 year later...

Hello George,

I have the same problem with the side airbag. I have the two yellow plugs removed and the cable (Black and blue) soldered. But the error can not be erased with Durametric.
That's why I soldered a three ohm resistor instead of the airbag. Unfortunately, without success. For this reason, I think that there is on the way from the driver's seat to the connector of the airbag triggering unit a cable break. So I'll have to disassemble the whole again and measure the ohmic resistance of the cable.

Greeting

Gerd

Hello George,

I have the same problem with the side airbag. I have the two yellow plugs removed and the cable (Black and blue) soldered. But the error can not be erased with Durametric.

That's why I soldered a three ohm resistor instead of the airbag. Unfortunately, without success. For this reason, I think that there is on the way from the driver's seat to the connector of the airbag triggering unit a cable break. So I'll have to disassemble the whole again and measure the ohmic resistance of the cable.

Greeting

Gerd

Did you already success and could find the error?

Back in 12/2012, the error code for "Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre)" which I posted when the 2nd time Airbag light came one I think is normal.

That was over a year ago and I did contacted Durametic support but no response. The error that brought up the Airbag Fault twice were 1217. The first time, I only re-crimped the connector, clear the code, and was fine for a year. After a year, the code reappeared again, this time I cut the connectors and soldiered them and packed with heat-shrink tube. I cleared the code and just ignored the code for "Impedance ig circ. belt tight (rear centre)".

Since then, I have never had any problem.

George

• 5 years later...

Thank you all for this thread. It helped me get rid of the airbag light and passed inspections on my 2004 Cayenne Turbo.

Bought the Durametric Enthusiast version.

It showed the 1217 driver side code. Erase the code, but it came back. So, next step is to remove the seat to see what's going on.

Removed the 4 bolts for the driver seat.

Disconnected the battery "-" 

Disconnected all the connectors associated with the main cable coming from the floor.

Found the black wire to the black wire and the blue wire to the blue wire were already clamped tight and nicely wrapped. So, previous owner already took it to the dealer, looks like.

Removed the shrink wraps and checked all the connectivities from the wires to the yellow connector located near the front of the seat that connects to the main cable from the floor.

All the connectivities looked good. So, added a dab of dielectric grease to the contacts of the yellow connector. 

Did not do anything to the black and blue wires except wrapped it back up really good with electrical tapes.

Put the connections, seat and battery connection back to original.

Fired up the Durametric again and erased the code. The code was erased for good. No more airbag light on the dashboard.

So, not sure what was wrong with it. It fixed itself or may be the yellow connector did not have a good connection? So by disconnecting and reconnecting them carefully made the difference. Who knows! Anyway I am glad that the airbag light is gone.

Rick

• 2 months later...
On 11/21/2011 at 2:41 PM, gchu said:

I received the Durametric tool today. The Fault Code is:

1217:

Side airbag triggering unit driver's Upper limit value exceeded.

When I checked the Actual Values

the "Resistance - drive's side airbage" value is "too big".

See if anyone could help before contacting the dealer. Thanks.

Hi George, what model of Durametric is this? Lots of people say that the scanners are not able to clear the wrong code. Thank you

• Moderators
9 minutes ago, danny z said:

Hi George, what model of Durametric is this? Lots of people say that the scanners are not able to clear the wrong code. Thank you

Welcome to RennTech :welcomeani:

There are only two versions of the Durametric system, Enthusiast and Pro, with the main difference is that the Enthusiast version is limited to three cars (three VIN's), while the Pro is unlimited. Otherwise they are very much the same with the Pro having some activations that the other version does not.

Of all the scan tools on the market, the Durametric is the most capable in dealing with Porsches.

• 1 month later...
  • 3 years later...

Airbag light comes on my 2006 Cayenne turbo S ….Durametric cannot communicate with the airbag module so into the dealer she goes. They tell me the passenger side front seatbelt retractor is bad. $600 and change to replace it. I approve the repair online and then called him about 30 minutes later asking for the old parts to be left in the car that were replaced. All of a sudden the price jumps up to $900.!!! Sounds fishy ….I told the service advisor I am not comfortable with the price increase right after I ask for the old parts and accountability! Final repair comes in at just under $600 but no old parts were provided when I picked up the vehicle. Back online it appears there’s a company possibly in Wisconsin that you can ship your seatbelt retractor to and they’ll repair it and provide a lifetime warranty. Not sure if simply repairing/replacing this will turn the airbag light off or not.

Edited by Ignited