Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cayenne Turbo On-Throttle Hesitation Cause Ever Resolved?

This is the hesitation that typically happens when you get on throttle after braking through a turn, of when tying to pass someone on a freeway. You mash the pedal, and nothing happens for maybe as long as two seconds.

I've done a lot of searching lately because the hesitation is really getting on my nerves, but have not been able to find any definitive conclusions on this. Over the years, people have thought it was coil packs, turbo lag, and maybe a few other things. I've ruled all of these out on my car. The most plausible theory I have come across is that the "learned" driving habit, affecting the engine and transmission programs may be the culprit. That is if you drive normally, you will have this hesitation.

On my 2006 CTT, one thing I do know is if I disable the PSM, the hesitation is gone, but the shift points go to higher RPMs, and the car all around seems more high-strung. So, the hesitation is gone, but it's not as relaxing to drive.

I have heard that the normal, PSM "ON" mode hesitation can be fixed by running with PSM off for days or weeks, tricking the engine management system into thinking that's how you really drive. I may try that, but I would guess that over time back on in the PSM mode, it would revert to the original "learned" driving habit, and I was wondering whether there is any other more permanent solution out there. Other than the device (forget the name) that tricks the gas pedal position sensor into thinking the pedal is further down than it is. That seems like another band-aid to me.

If anyone else is well aware of this phenomenon, is there some reason understood for why Porsche programmed it this way? Only thing I can think of is they did not want people hitting the throttle hard, coming out of a turn in a 5200 pound vehicle. But what about the detriment and danger when attempting to pass on a highway?

Thanks.

Best solution I found is to just flick the transmission down a gear using the tiptronic switch on the steering wheel when coming out of a corner or entering the freeway.

No lag and instant boost.

Try it.

Edited by bigbuzuki

I ran into a harsh shifting problem which was cured by EGR valve replacement. The upshot of this was quicker shifting, instaneous boost reaction and FSD on the boost gauge. Night and day. The response delay on the CTT does seem generally to be transmission related.

bigbuzuki's suggestion works too.

Try this and see if it makes a difference. Turn off the PSM and drive it and see if it is better. It may just be the software for the PSM & Throttle and there is a TSB 3/06 2470 "Engine Response" with an improved software that is suppose to help the problem. With the PSM on the throttle will not work with any braking applied (no power braking) and it sounds like some of the software is slow to respond after you let off the brake before it lets you give it throttle. Most manufacturers with automatics have this feature now although with the Stability management disabled (PSM, ESP, etc...) it usually defeats this feature. Let us know if it works ok with the PSM off?

Thanks for your suggestions. I have done the tiptronic downshift but it seems like what's the point of having an automatic if you have to do that? And all of my cars up to now have been manuals, but I haven't gotten comfortable with the tip - just seems like I need to do something with my left foot!

As I mentioned, the problem goes away with the PSM off, but the shift points are way higher - like still in 4th at 55mph. So I know the already poor fuel economy will be even worse - as it would be, but not as badly, if the throttle response was better with PSM on. Anyway, I'll check out the TSB, and see what can be done. Thanks again.

I have this problem too on my CS 2005. It was really bad up until the dealer repaired some sort of valves or thrusters (they said it in German, but I don't remember off the top of my dome).

But after a while, it's returned but only very occassionally. It used to be that I could manipulate the car into doing it after slow-downs and in curves. I just can't predict when it will happen anymore. It might happen once in a couple of months, but still very annoying.

If you somehow find a solution, please let us know! Even the Porsche guys in Germany can't seem to fix it.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

I have the same issue at 5-32 mph especially after breaking (halting) and turning.  My 2012 cayenne v6 has 64k miles; this started happening at 62k miles.  It is very annoying.  I know that my spark plugs were replaced at 52k miles.  In another forum I read that maybe the coils are cracked.  It is not fun to drive anymore and I just paid it off.

The posts above have not been updated since 2014.  Please let me know if you have isolated the issue and resolved.