Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Air suspension fault and mirror tilting in reverse

Hi,

I need your help with a couple of problems I’ve been having with my 2004 TT recently.

First Problem; I’ve noticed that occasionally I get ‘air suspension faulty, go to workshop’ type error message on the dash. When the error message appears there doesn’t seem to be any adverse affect and the vehicle drives like normal. Is it possible for me to find out what the error code is without putting the vehicle on to a diagnostics machine? Also are there any other items I should check?

Second problem; How do I activate the auto tilting mirrors when reversing the vehicle? When I purchased the vehicle the mirrors would automatically tile when I selected the reverse gear. However this function seems to have stopped working lately?

Any advice on the two matters listed above would be much appreciated.

Thanks

Ak

To have the auto tilting mirror you have to move the selector to the right side dot. If you leave it to the left or in the middle it will not auto tilt for reverse. Personally i hate the feature and never use it.

The air suspension fault can possibly be fixed with a new piston ring for the compressor. I have the same issue and have been too lazy to fix even though I bought the repair kit for it.

HTH

Before you do anything big, do you know how old the main and if fitted the reserve batteries are ?

The mirror tilting is a default setting, which if it just started happening without someone playing with the dashboard could indicate that power was lost to a control unit and it reset to factory. When the batteries get bad on these all sorts of strange things can begin to occur.

Battery first then clear the faults and see if they re occur.

IF a compressor is indicated you can get a VW refurb kit and do the job yourself, its behind the passenger side plastic side skirt.

When you get the Air Suspension fault you say it operates as normal. Next time you get it see if you can change the ride height? I occaisonally get a fault and it won't let me raise or lower the vehicle until I shut the pig off and restart it or clear the fault with Durametric. I have purchased the VW rebuild kit but am waiting for a combination of the fault getting worse and myselft having less other vehicle projects to work on :)

Thanks for the replies guys, much appreciated. :thankyou:

To have the auto tilting mirror you have to move the selector to the right side dot. If you leave it to the left or in the middle it will not auto tilt for reverse. Personally i hate the feature and never use it.

The air suspension fault can possibly be fixed with a new piston ring for the compressor. I have the same issue and have been too lazy to fix even though I bought the repair kit for it.

HTH

The control stalk for the mirror is in the middle setting, I will change it to the driver setting and see if that makes any difference for the auto tilt?

Before you do anything big, do you know how old the main and if fitted the reserve batteries are ?

The mirror tilting is a default setting, which if it just started happening without someone playing with the dashboard could indicate that power was lost to a control unit and it reset to factory. When the batteries get bad on these all sorts of strange things can begin to occur.

Battery first then clear the faults and see if they re occur.

IF a compressor is indicated you can get a VW refurb kit and do the job yourself, its behind the passenger side plastic side skirt.

I am not sure how old the battery is on the vehicle, can someone tell me where it is located so I can check? Also where is the fuse box located?

When you get the Air Suspension fault you say it operates as normal. Next time you get it see if you can change the ride height? I occaisonally get a fault and it won't let me raise or lower the vehicle until I shut the pig off and restart it or clear the fault with Durametric. I have purchased the VW rebuild kit but am waiting for a combination of the fault getting worse and myselft having less other vehicle projects to work on :)

From memory I think I was still able to change the ride height when the ‘air suspension fault’ message appeared on the screen? I will need to double check just to make sure though. Do you have a link for the rebuild kit and is there a fitting guide available?

There are fuse boxes only viewable when you open the front doors, they have an air duct hole on the cover, carefully pry off with a flat bladed driver then refer to the manual for fuse descriptions

...Be sure to read through all the various forum topics and search. Spend the money and become a contributing member -- you can access manuals, etc.

You're in the UK so your arrangement will not be the same as this below screen shot from left-side drive owner's manual -- '04 Cayenne, but you'll get the idea.

post-41432-0-06039100-1323134421_thumb.j

post-41432-0-30453000-1323135178_thumb.j

Edited by odix

I had the same issue of air suspension faulty message being displayed while driving and it was being gone after I stop the car. I had it repaired by an authorised Porsche service this week. They told me that the pressure sensing cables where lose on front tyres and that the cars elevation was not even. The right side was a bit more elevated then the left. So they fixed this by recalibrating the air suspension and the error is gone.

FYI.

Edited by Oktay

• 4 weeks later...

I too am experiencing the same problem. I have a faulty suspension warning lamp going off every once in awhile. All I simply do is wait till I'm done driving, and turn ignition off, then when I restart car, fault is gone. I have noticed here recently that the passenger side of my Cayenne Turbo is lower than the driver side. It is approximately 1/2 inch to 3/4 inch lower than driver side. What can I do to fix this?

• Moderators

What you need: PIWIS - workshop manual - measuring instrument - flat level floor.

Place the vehicle on a flat level floor, measuring with the instrument the height between some specific measuring points on the chassis and the floor (specific instructions in the manual), bring the measured values, each by each, in to the PIWIS. Piwis will correct and adjust the car height to the specific level. All this should take not too much time but requires some knowledge.

There is this: http://www.ecstuning...essor/ES414705/ and if they still have it at this price:

http://www.ecstuning...w_All/ES289283/ unbelieveable price on an OEM product and I don't even like ECS tuning.

I had the same problem and bought this compressor in the summer(after I paid $200 at the VW dealer for the ring and two screws and could not refund them). it was insane price i have to say. after replacing the pump everything works fine. I remember the plastic fitting on the hose is a little different from the old OE ones but easy to put in. make sure it does not leak air at the fitting. happened to me and i had to open it again once.

So, what you're saying is buy the pump repair kit, and that should take care of my problems? How much is a new pump all together?

Thanks,

Jon

This will also help with the ride height, correct?

It is sitting lower on passenger side than drivers side. I will try it, thanks.

well it solved the air suspension warning problem for me. and for $10 parts and DIY-able job, I would try it for sure. I think what happened was the pump was leaky and could not boost the pressure to the set point, this triggered the warning. new o ring solved the problem. BTW the compressor that I bought from ESCtuning included the O ring and the screws.

but I think you still need a calibration as RFM mentioned. I saw a detailed calibration instruction online somewhere before but it is not a DIY job.

• 3 months later...