Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

OEM Trailer hitch from Cayenne won't fit Cayenne Turbo S

Hi - I just upgraded to a '06 CTS last week I tried to swap the OEM trailer hitch from my '05 Cayenne V6. I figured that the 8 thread holes in the chassis are incompatible in diameter - The V6 features M14x1.5 and the CTS M12x1.5.

I tried to find some hints on possible solutions here, but unfortunately mostly aftermarket hitches are being discussed, where compatibility issues seen not to exist.... :(

I could imagine that the OEM hitch will need re-threading of the frame to meet the towing capacity specification.... Alternatively, I could imagine to forget about the max towing capacity for a moment (the max load is a motorcycle I am pulling to the race track), and simply to take long enough M12x1.5 bolts with sufficient Strength (higher then 8.8 stock).

Any advice is highly apprechiated

THX

post-75965-0-79612300-1323430163_thumb.j

post-75965-0-04873000-1323430240_thumb.j

post-75965-0-83118400-1323430756_thumb.j

Wow that 6 mount is very different, was not aware of that. The 6 hitch looks tiny from your picture, the S/TT/TT2 hitch needs a trolley jack to lift it by comparison to that. I have a feeling your going to be SOL. You could just buy a Curt hitch, slightly less that full towing weight but only about a buck fifty or look for a front end junker, I am sure the hitch would be fine since its built like a tank.

Edited by mudman2

funny i just swapped mine on 2009 Turbo from stock to hitch. I could not get OEM bolts so just went to VW dealer and got 12x1.5x100mm bolts with tread all the way. they also look steel as oppose to "aluminum". i guess i am going to find out soon enough if i can pull max capacity or start looking for a new bumper :)

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the hints. I went to search for M12x1.5x100 bolts and figured that they are widely used across German and even on American cars.... However, since nobody stocked them, so I finally opted for factory post-75965-0-19977900-1324373806_thumb.jparts and meanwhile received a box with bolts and other bits today (Btw - the 06 bolt part # for the bolt superseded from to N 910 292 03 from the New Hitch parts list above to N 910 292 02). THis should suffice to complete the hitch swap and minor other service (tailgate strouts, brakes and oil change on the V6) hopefully just before X-mass yet....

• 3 weeks later...