Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Fault code 178 Camshaft Adjustment Bank 1 issue in 1999 996 C4

Just returned form the shop. I met with the mechanic and he walked me though everything. My car was on the lift with the transmission out and the cam adjusters removed. He showed me one cam solenoid/actuator unit that he had out and it had fairly deep grooves primarily on one side. He said that he planned on replacing the chains and spark plug tubes/rings as you suggested and showed me the parts pile he had assembled for my car. He showed me the IMS bearing he removed and it looked pretty bad. He said I was lucky that it was only a matter of time before it failed. He showed me the clutch plate and it was really worn, almost down to the rivets. I went through the parts list he had and he agreed about the things your pointed out, logray. He said it was the secretary who entered things wrong but that it would definitely be fixed when the work is done. He's also going to replace the AOS and timing chains. I suggested that I purchase my own parts and bring them, but they kind of have you over a barrel because if I did then the labor rate increases. C'est la vie. Or should I say das ist Leben.

I can post pictures if anyone's interested. The work should be completed next week. I'm really looking forward to it. Now, I just need to sell a couple of my favorite watches to pay for this (Tag Heuer Monaco and Bell & Ross 03-92)!

• 2 weeks later...

Yep. Still much less than the dealer quote (because I had much more work done). They worked on it for over 2 weeks. Once they have your car with its guts spilled all over the shop, they have you. I'm trying to look at the brighter side and looking forward to getting it back today. Maybe I should sell it now before it gets too deep. Never mind...too late for that!

Well at least they fixed the parts list and removed the stuff that didn't make sense.... but I guess you have to pay the Porsche tax sometimes... $1500 labor sounds very reasonable to me for dropping the engine and replacing both variocam actuators. If you were to have walked in the parts and saved a couple grand, I'm sure they would have jacked up the labor.

I'm sure the car is running great!

Got her back yesterday and she sure looks great. Drives incredible, too! Thank you logray, loran and others for your advice and help!

If anyone in the area wants to know, it was International Motor Cars in Bridgewater, MA who did the repairs. They were the best service department I have ever worked with. Very up front with pricing, patient with all of my many MANY questions and open to walking me through what needed to be done. I cannot recommend them highly enough.

JC

post-49697-0-19134800-1327678820_thumb.j