Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Durametric Code P0021 Variocam Avctuator/Solenoid

therock88

Was hoping someone on the site could help me with a little information....

Recently got a code on Durametric P0021 and was told that it is most likely the Variocam solenoid/actuator. I need to change my plugs anyway to cooler iridium plugs due to a recent DME flash so thought I would test/change these as well, while I am going to the trouble and they appear to be right near the plugs. PArt number I found was 996 105 301 04 and there is one on each side.

I just got a Flash as indicated and now the lCEL goes off everytime I drive the car. Always the same code. Even with the original file flashed back it goes off now.....I was told one thing I needed was different plugs and that IK22 Denso Iridium would ba a cooler range and better plugs and would help with the extra boost etc....

Questions I would love some help with:

- Any way to test these with Durametric? I have read that there is, but cannot seem to figure it out? Have a 2n Gen basic cable and Durametric 5 & 6 software. Laptop is XP SP3 with 2 GB RAM and Dual Core 1.4 GHZ Pentium 4 (can't seem to get actual values to work either??)

- Assuming I am fortunate enough to actually get to the part and the plugs, can I simply remove the old one and plug the new on in and fasten, or is there anything special? Appears to just slip in like a spark plug?

Thanks for any information on how to use the Durametric to test....Replacement....Diagnosis or anything else!

DC

Edited by therock88

• Admin

P0021 Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 2 – Signal Implausible

Possible cause of fault

- Dirt in oil circuit

- Sealing strips on inlet camshaft adjuster faulty

- Oil pressure too low

- Mechanical fault in inlet camshaft adjuster

- Magnetic hydraulic valve faulty

I would start with these befoe any parts are replaced.

P0021 Adjustment of Inlet Camshaft in relation to Crankshaft, Bank 2 – Signal Implausible

Possible cause of fault

- Dirt in oil circuit

- Sealing strips on inlet camshaft adjuster faulty

- Oil pressure too low

- Mechanical fault in inlet camshaft adjuster

- Magnetic hydraulic valve faulty

I would start with these befoe any parts are replaced.

Thanks Lauren...I also read the Durametric codes are sometimes transposed....So sometimes it says something about the throttle position and signal implausible...Makes it more confusing!

No other codes?

I would erase it and see if it comes back - especially if the egine seems to run well.

Thanks Lauren.....I got these codes the first time the CEL came on and I cleared them. The time varies as to when they come back, but they always do, unfortunately At least the first one..Interestingly the first code says something about the throttle, but once the same code came up and was about the Cam?

"A code P0021 refers to the VVT (variable valve timing) or VCT (variable camshaft timing) components and the car's PCM (powertrain control module, also called an ECM). That consists of a few different components but the P0021 DTC specifically refers to the camshaft (cam) timing. In this case, if the cam timing is above a set limit (over-advanced), the engine light will be illluminated and the code will be set. The "A" camshaft is either the intake, left, or front camshaft. A P0021 engine code is basically the same as a P0011 code, except this is for Bank 2, not Bank 1"

Bosch Digital Motor Electronics Motronic 7.8.1 Turbo Current Fault Codes

P0021:

Throttle actuator control motor circuit/open

Implausible signal

Airbag - POSIP Current Fault Codes C152:

Communication PSM control unit (drive)

This fault is displayed for informational purposes, it is not an indication of a problem and no repair is needed.

Porsche Access System - PAS Current Fault Codes 004:

Terminal 50

Value below lower limit value

Seat Memory Current Fault Codes 102:

CAN single-wire operation "comfort"

Implausible signal

Obviously I am confused. :) The CEL came on after the car was flashed....Not immediately, but after about four

drives. Then I flashed back to original, and still get it? I seem to have noticed if I clear codes and drive very slow the next time, I get no lights....Then

when I start it again, I may get one instantly or after a bit.....Weird....

Thanks again for your input/knowledge. I am trying to avaoid a trip to the dealer as they quoted me about $900 just for the labor on the plugs! It looks very difficult, but I think if I take my time and I am careful , I should be OK....

Oh Forgot...On the engine running....It seems to run fine even with the CEL on.....If you drive slow/regular. What I notice is that if I get in it , it just has a hesitation and then when the boost kicks in after a bit (longer than before) it will spin all 4 wheels and rockets

with no issues. I was getting a bit worried though when I read about it being timing related and the valves possibly kissing the pistons etc.....Google is great, but also caused stress ....

Edited by therock88

And if you remove the flash does it go away and stay away? (i.e. back to stock)

Sorry, but you need to rule out the flash being the issue. Wouldn't be the first time - and most of these guys update their programs when they find a problem

Yes Lauren...I thought about that and I have flashed back to stock/original and still get it now. This is the strange thing. I had no CEL at all (other than a MAF early 2011 that I corrected and never came back). I flashed it and shortly after got the error...Then flashed back an dthought it was OK andthe error came back with stock. Baffles me. My only thought is the flash pushed it enough to uncover an underlying issue....I guess I am OK with that, just trying to figure how to get it corrected now. I was told the plugs can cause problems with high power flashes and with 28000 pretty close to needing plugs anyway on the Turbo. I am even Ok with replacing the Valve Actuators (official name)...VarioCam solenoids....I just hope that solves it. I am just hopeful it is not mechanical as that will be big $$$....And seems odd since I never had the issue prior. Fingers crossed.

If I can figure out how to get the Durametric to test the item I will do so....

Thanks agaiin...I will keep plugging until I figure it out, or bite the bullet and go to the dealership...

DC

Edited by therock88

UPDATE and Thoughts?

I flashed the car back to stock (again). Cleared all errors/codes. Disconnected battery for a while (Just for good measure :)). And took for a drive. No CEL.

Before I flashed back to stock, I used Durametric to monitor actual values with the car running....Looked at Actual Camshaft deviation on Bank 1 and 2 to compare....At Idle 1 was at about -1.29 and bank 2 stayed at -2.548. The actual angle for Bank 2 went from 0.9 to -15.9 and Bank 1 went from 0.8 to -127.9. Put back to Stock flash and ran again and also put the laptop on the floor and drove the car while logging the values and got the following: Bank 1 0.7 to -41.7 and Bank 2 was about the same 0.7 to -41.2. The deviation was Bank 1 1.17 and Bank 2 stayed at 2.548 both steady.

So I am uncertain if these values look normal or?? I am going to flash back to the tuned file after driving a while in stock and see what happens?

DC

• 3 months later...