Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Un oh yucky powersteering lines!

I was changing the oil while on the lift this morning. I noticed the under panels were coated in old oil. Turns out to be ps fluid all over the lines and nearby fittings etc. Nothing dripping.

Never saw a drop on the garage floor so I'm shocked. No symptoms either. I sprayed down all the surfaces with engine cleaner and cleaned up the lines hopefully to see where we have a seep from. I'll check it again in a week.

Anyone replace their lines lately? The radiator hoses were fairly well coated too. The serpentine belt is dry as a bone.

Anyone? Loren? I did not have time to check ps fluid level but will in a bit. I'm fighting a nasty head cold.

I'll post pics shortly.

Edited by ALEV8

I've had the clamped slip on power steering lines seep a little oil over time, not really a leak per se. They get hard & brittle with age/heat. But now that you've cleaned them off keep an eye out on them to see if it is something more serious as it can go from no drip to drip fairly quick sometimes.

That's rather ugly. One thing to watch - the Pensotin oil used is warned against contacting any of the cooling hoses in the service manuals - they claim it will destroy them in rather short order and suggest immediately cleaning them off with detergent and water. I imagine the serpentine belt may not like it either.

Hey Don the brakes are getting new juice today and I'm replacing the serp (should have 3k ago) when we fix the hoses next weekend. Anyone try this themselves yet? Looks like a tight fit.....the lift really comes in handy though. My gut says hoses. They always failed on my e39s. A pump did as well but usually the hoses. I'll wash the hoses you mentioned today with Dawn. I have a new outer door seal and headlight gaskets coming too.

Edited by ALEV8

• 2 weeks later...