Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Melted coil pack connector PLEASE HELP!

Hello, I am new to site and have a question. Well I was on my way to work when my car started misfiring. I drove it to kmd tuning here in Nj. I thought it was a coil pack and my car is due for 60000 mile service anyway so I wasn't too worry. When they check the car they find one of the coil pack connectors is melted. We have checked everywhere trying to find connector and have had no luck. Dealer wants to sell me entire wire harness.

2005 997s cabriolet

Has anyone dealt with this before? Is there a connector from other car that works? Porsche service manager mentioned BMW but couldn't remember part number or car it came from.

If someone could help me I would greatly appreciate it...

I bought two similar connectors for my car, one for the knock sensor and the other for a cam position sensor.

They are Bosch parts and you can buy them brand new.

They need to be soldered and will be difficult to do with the engine in the car, but it is possible, probably by removing the mufflers and brackets, heat shields, etc.

Here's the part number for a 996 connector for a spark plug. I'm pretty certain it is the same for the 997 since they use the same coil pack..

Usually dealers have a parts bin called a "tech connector box" in their service bay or parts dept with all sorts of these types of connectors in them. I'm surprised they didn't mention that.

Here are a couple places to purchase... or I'm sure a Porsche dealer has one somewhere they an transfer/sell to your local dealer.

http://www.ebay.com/...t-/110458797063

http://www.ebay.com/...w-/170712781984

Bosch P/N 1 928 402 868

Porsche P/N 999 652 916 40

Edited by logray
  • Upvote 1

Logray, hope you can help with one more question. The number you gave me is of the connector housing which I need. I also need the part number for the connectors in the housing. Do you happen to have that? Thank you in advance for all your help.

Here's what i could find, hope it's the right stuff.

- 999 650 052 12 connector 3 per housing

- 999 704 161 40 gasket 3 per housing

- 996 607 401 00 rubber sleeve 1 (not sure if you need this, I would order one)

- 996 607 402 00 rubber sleeve 1 (not sure if you need this, I would order one)

When I bought mine on ebay it came with all the stuff I needed.

Edited by logray