Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

997 rattles with open sun roof on a bumpy road???

It seems to arise deep within the sun roof (when the roof is open) and roof lining as I'm not able to access the origin of the rattle. Can't figure out if it is a design prob or just that I'm lucky... When the sun roof is closed, it is fine. Any help is appreciated...

It seems to arise deep within the sun roof (when the roof is open) and roof lining as I'm not able to access the origin of the rattle.  Can't figure out if it is a design prob or just that I'm lucky... When the sun roof is closed, it is fine.  Any help is appreciated...

Had mine open for the first time yesterday and did not notice any rattles at all, up to just over 80MPH anyway. I would hit your service dept.

:drive:

Thanks - mine works fine going fast- it is the bumpy roads in Wash, DC that get me... let me know if you happen to go by some bumpy roads in your travels. Thanks for the update ( the service dept put some grease type stuff on the rails today ) it seems a bit better...

It seems to arise deep within the sun roof (when the roof is open) and roof lining as I'm not able to access the origin of the rattle.  Can't figure out if it is a design prob or just that I'm lucky... When the sun roof is closed, it is fine.  Any help is appreciated...

Had mine open for the first time yesterday and did not notice any rattles at all, up to just over 80MPH anyway. I would hit your service dept.

Thanks - mine works fine going fast- it is the bumpy roads in Wash, DC that get me... let me know if you happen to go by some bumpy roads in your travels. Thanks for the update ( the service dept put some grease type stuff on the rails today ) it seems a bit better...

having that problem on my 99C2... try playing with some of the "spines" that are aboev the rear seats... the spines are in the roof liner and run width wise... I think one of them is loose as it makes an annoying clicking sound... don't know how to fix that one but its annoying as hell... the only rattle the car makes...

Pete

• 1 month later...

With the sunroof all the way open, it sounds like a helicopter is directly overhead starting at about 28 MPH, even on smooth roads. If I put my hand up, the noise stops. Anybody else have this happen, and is it an easy dealer fix?

Geoff

You can't fix that...it's sound pressure....sticking your arm up disrupts the airflow, that why the noise disappears

You've got to love an $80K+ car that makes too much noise with the sun roof open at speeds above 28 MPH!

I took my Boxster back to the dealer this morning to have an oil leak re-checked, and when talking to my service guy about the 997, he suggested closing the sunroof just an inch or two to stop the sound. He said they used to open all the way, then close just enough to stop the wind resonance noise. Since some people have this problem, and others drive with the sunroof open at 80+ MPH, I have to assume it's an adjustment item

Just tried mine over the weekend... The "helicopter noise" is defiantly due to the air flow over the car. That why the roof won't fully open when you use the one touch... If you want to stop your head from exploding just open the passenger windows a touch to equalize the pressure.

There is also an unrelated rattle in the head liner when the top is open... My guess is that it's the roof not sitting 100% still in it's retracted position... Don't think there's an easy fix for that.

• 1 month later...

The helicopter noise is due to variations in sound pressure.

With sunroof fully open, it cannot be heard below 20mph; is really loud from c.30 - 70 mph, and then is not a problem 80+ mph.

I find that opening my side windows just a little bit (half cm) remedies this problem.

With regards to the rattles, I'm getting it on bumpy roads, especially with PASM on sport setting. The dealership used teflon tape within the roof lining to try and cure it, but this has had no effect. I took a technician out with me on a subsequent visit and he said the noise was similar to a problem on 996 with sunroof. I was told there is no absolute fix ?!?!

• 3 years later...
With regards to the rattles, I'm getting it on bumpy roads, especially with PASM on sport setting. The dealership used teflon tape within the roof lining to try and cure it, but this has had no effect. I took a technician out with me on a subsequent visit and he said the noise was similar to a problem on 996 with sunroof. I was told there is no absolute fix ?!?!

I realize this topic is ancient history, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sunroof rattle. Mine's only there when the sunroof is at the one-touch setting, or when it's fully closed. And I have the PASM ALWAYS set on sport mode.

The sunroof operation is also VERY slow (slower even than my old M-B W123 TDC). My car's an '05 C2S with but 25K miles on the clock. Would a little grease on the rails help?

I realize this topic is ancient history, but I'm glad I'm not the only one with a sunroof rattle. Mine's only there when the sunroof is at the one-touch setting, or when it's fully closed. And I have the PASM ALWAYS set on sport mode.

The sunroof operation is also VERY slow (slower even than my old M-B W123 TDC). My car's an '05 C2S with but 25K miles on the clock. Would a little grease on the rails help?

It will not hurt it.

Paul