Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

PCM Help "Incompatible Navigation software"

Good evening

I wondered if someone may be able to best advise with the following problem. I have a UK 55 plate (2005 model) Cayenne S and recently my entire PCM unit failed. Completely dead. 2 independent Porsche engineers failed to resurrect the unit. As a result i tentatively bought a new unit off of eBay and was delighted to find out that it worked almost perfectly. The only issues are an error on start-up which says "amplifier not available" and "Incompatible Navigation Software" when i try to route to a new location. Everything else works great and as normal.

I am not a Porsche expert or mechanic so would really appreciate assistance in what to do next. I assume it's a simple software upgrade but wanted to get some info form the experts on this forum on what is needed.

My old PCM that is completely dead and buried was as follows:

PCM 2

BE 6663

7L5.035.192A

The new unit which is installed and working at 90% is as follows:

PCM2

BE 6654

715.035.191H

After reading a few other posts, i have learned how to check the current software version in my car so i have also attached the main screen to this message. As you can see from the picture from the main screen there are alerts next to the amp, cd changer, and phone. The versions for each group are as follows:

Unit: Amplifier

Target: 00012118 / 3139

Actual: -------- / ---------

Entered: Yes

Found: No

Unit: CD Changer

Target: C32 / 2702

Actual: C38 / 3003

Found: Yes

Unit: Navigation System

Target: /

Actual: 00174412 / 4804

Unit: Phone

Target: 0002.22R / 1803

Actual: 05034B54 / 0305

I have omitted the PCM and System Software sections as they appeared to be in order. Based on all of the above information would anyone be able to tell me what i need to do in order to fix the two errors mentioned at the start of the post:

1.) "amplifier not available"

2.) "Incompatible Navigation Software"

Many Thanks for all assistance in advance

post-77905-0-45629700-1328736191_thumb.j

Being MY2005, I seem to recall that the Cayenne used a PCM2.0 head unit, with a DVD navigation drive under the LH seat. I have a feeling that unit 6654 might be the MY2004 PCM2.0, which had CD navigation in the head unit. I can check it out when I get to my PC tomorrow, and report back.

I think the "amplifier not available" message is because the unit needs recoding to suit the options on your car. Same applies to the CDC and phone error messages. However, I'm not sure the unit will be compatible with the navigation drive.

If you fancy a trip out to Maidenhead, I'd be happy to plug in my PIWIS tester, and see what I can do. I have a PCM 2.0 CD map, so could try that too.

That's a very kind offer thank you. I'm taking it into a friend this weekend but will report back and arrange privately if i take you up.

My car definitely has the DVD under the LH seat. I'll try the CD based NAV disc as if that works then problem solved. Thanks for the feedback.

The amp,cdc and phone error indicates (to me anyway) that the Most bus is not up up to the head unit, I would remove and see if you can see red light in the cable ends

Edited by mudman2

In N. America we got the DVD PCM2.1 in 2005. And double check as the BE 6663 PCM unit you list is a PCM2.1 unit. If you still have the old unit check the sticker on the side, it should say PCM2.1E1 on the side. The BE6654 is also a PCM2.1 unit so you should be fine if you get the DVD based Nav disc. If you get the whole set from Porsche or a friend you can check it all for the latest software upgrade. As mentioned let us know the software version of your unit.

Thanks for the info.

Roy, WA - you are correct. My faulty unit, the BE 6663, says "PCM2. 1E1 RDW EC: 105"

So are you saying that the unit that i have bought second hand which is a BE6654 is an older unit but should still be DVD based as it is also a 2.1? If so, would it still make use of the external DVD or would it need to be loaded into the head unit? I assume the latter as i already have a DVD in the external unit which worked alongside the faulty BE 6663. When I'm home later i will try loading the DVD from the external into the head unit out of interest.

Do you think i just need a new DVD for the BE 6654?

Appreciate the advice.

As a matter of interest, what it the PCM Software Version number, and what version of the map disk are you trying to run?

PCM software version is 04035AD1 / 0304

What map version are you trying to run?

I have the updates if you need them. I think you may also need the Level C update, depending on your map version.

As R. Hamilton is alluding to, if you have the new maps, late '05 or later, they won't work with the Level A software you are running but will work if you upgrade to the later software, at least Level B will be needed. Your old unit may very well have had a later software version and you may have had the later maps to go with that later software version whereas the new unit, although hardware compatible, needs a software update to work properly with newer maps.

As a matter of interest, what it the PCM Software Version number, and what version of the map disk are you trying to run?

I have the updates if you need them. I think you may also need the Level C update, depending on your map version.

Firstly, thanks to everyone for your suggestions. After tinkering some more I have definitely drawn the same conclusion as both hahnmgh63 and Richard Hamilton. The navigation is actually working fine. I can enter addresses, i will get voice directions, and the dash control updates with where i should be going. It's actually only the map screen which seems to be stuck. I do still get the "incompatible nav software" message so I'm optimistic that a software update will fix my issues.

Richard you mentioned that you had the discs that i need in order to run the update. How can i contact you privately in order to arrange a visit and or payment for a copy? Please advise and i will get in touch this weekend.

Thanks again everyone.

ps map version is 04.2005 Europe