Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

What kind of wheels?/How much should I sell for?

Hey guys. Quick background for you: Love Porsches but not very mechanically inclined, hence my following questions. I have a 2002 4S, got it in '09. It came with a spare set of wheels with winter tires. I stored them in the garage, but have never put them on, and now I'm moving and want to get rid of them. Previous owner is unavailable for comment.

My questions are:

1. What kind of wheels are these? I don't want to sell someone some wheels that aren't what they seem.

2. What to condition are these tires in (Blizzak LM 25V 225/45R18 92V, 265/35R18 97V)?

• One tire has a rip in the sidewall near where the outside of the rear left wheel meets the tire (I think due to curbing, see attached pics).
  • One tire has a small screw in it but judging by the fact that it's holding comparable pressure to the other wheels (that have been sitting stacked in the garage for almost three years) around 20 PSI, does that mean it's been repaired?
  • I measured tread in the middle of the tires and it was in the 6-8mm range. How much life do you think is left?
  • No curb rash on any other wheels.

3. How much should I sell the wheels and tires for?

I realize this is an essay so please feel free to answer any part of my giant question. Thanks in advance for all your help guys.

post-47659-0-37913500-1328913936_thumb.j

post-47659-0-76524200-1328913938_thumb.j

post-47659-0-14973900-1328913941_thumb.j

post-47659-0-46401000-1328913943_thumb.j

post-47659-0-96892400-1328913945_thumb.j

post-47659-0-01149400-1328913949_thumb.j

post-47659-0-21223700-1328913951_thumb.j

post-47659-0-28941700-1328913953_thumb.j

Really Nice car, had the same model before. As for the alloys, you are aware the size is not for your model (check your car as it should have xx295 at the rears) so I doubt they would have been used for Winter on the C4S. I suspect they maybe for the 1st generation 996 (3.4L) as they had narrower tyres and were from a previous Porsche the owner had. Due to the unknown provenance and non-Porsche approved tyres/damaged, and for the requirement to retain the correct wheel/tyre spec for any Porsche 911, it may be best they are not sold on. I get my OEM alloys/N spec tyres balanced every 6 months, tyre pressure each month, full alignment annually and that is with OEM. Some unknowledgable/newcomer to the 911 Porsche driver may buy them, fit them and experience no end of problems.

Please accept I am not being judgemental, as you'll appreciate as a member of this 'Porsche Fanatic' forum

Edited by msaif

If I'm not mistaken those look like stock C4S wheels and the tires are sizes that would be normal for winter tires on a 996.

The best thing you could do is post the wheel sizes (we can see that one is an 8JX18. Are they all the same?) and also the offset of the rims (50, 55, 60, 65 or whatever they are).

With the offsets people should be able to tell you a bit more.

The tires may not be worth much with one having a screw in it and one having that gouge out of the sidewall.

Cheers

• Upvote 1

Blizzaks are very hard to get in larger C4 correct sizes. That said smaller are often used for winter. They look like aftermarket rims. See "Not Original Equipment" molded inside of spoke in 2nd pic.

$400-600 for the set depending on the date stamp on the tires. Over 8 years old would be suspect, over 10 toss them.

http://blog.tirerack...re-they-too-old

That cut would not bother me if no cord shows in the "scuffed" area. The rib on the tire is there to provide some protection for the rim. Pull the screw and if it goes through patch it from the inside and run them in the winter.

And for all of OMG if you patch it you have to cut the speed rating in half! Just how fast do you drive in the snow?

I have the same size and style of rim, don't know who made them, for my snows on my 2003 C2. Wish they were Blizzaks!

Edited by fpb111

These look like Italian made replicas of Turbo Look II wheels. These are the solid spoke wheels, not the hollow spoke version found on the turbo. They were obviously used as winter wheels by the previous owner because of the Blizzaks. Also, it's important to note that the proper wheel size for the 996 C4S for winter rear wheels is 10x18, not 11x18 like summer wheels. As mentioned above, you won't find 295 width winter tires to properly fit an 11-inch rim.

I see that one of the wheels in the photo is marked 8x18, which is the proper size for front wheels. What size are the back wheels?

For some additional reference, I purchased a set of "as new" OEM takeoffs from my local Porsche dealer for $500 without tires. Since the wheels you have here are replicas and have some wear and tear, I'd think $300 would be a reasonable value for them if they are straight and not bent at all. I wouldn't plan on any profit from the tires. They're not N-spec and they are obviously not in great shape. I'd keep them on as "wheel protectors" during the sale process.

Good luck!

• 2 weeks later...