Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

LN Spin-On oil filter adapter question

I spoke too soon.

I bought a 26 mm deep socket from eBay as nobody has them locally. It's a Blackhawk UW-526M, where Blackhawk is Proto's budget line. Today the LN filter adaptor arrived, and I tried a fit-check of the socket onto the adaptor. No go.

My analog caliper says the LN adaptor's nut size is bigger than 26 mm. Looks to my failing eyesight to be about 26.52 mm instead. The Blackhawk socket measures oversize a bit too at about 26.46 mm, but most sockets are generally a bit larger than nominal size.

I suppose I can go down to Lowe's and try some of their deep sockets to find one that more-or-less fits. I'm thinking maybe 27 mm or 1 1/16" sizes. I calculate that 1 1/16" is 26.98 mm. Did anyone else have this problem installing the LN filter adaptor?

Yup, I have the same problem. Adaptor arrived a few days ago. Tried to put my 26mm impact socket on it, socket is too small. Put everything away, haven't figured out yet what to do about it.

I got curious on this and I went out and checked my LN filter adapter installer. I have had that on for 4 years now. Both a 29mm and 1-1/8" socket fit on the adapter installer. Remember, this does not have to be installed super tight, the O-rings do the job of sealing. So anything you can get to fit closely on the adapter installer is going to work to snug it up in the housing. I did it one time when I installed it and I have never had to retorque it. Been through probably 10 oil/filter changes since and no problems. Lube the o-rings with clean engine oil when installing, snug it up with the adapter installer, install filter and you're done!

• Moderators

I got curious on this and I went out and checked my LN filter adapter installer. I have had that on for 4 years now. Both a 29mm and 1-1/8" socket fit on the adapter installer. Remember, this does not have to be installed super tight, the O-rings do the job of sealing. So anything you can get to fit closely on the adapter installer is going to work to snug it up in the housing. I did it one time when I installed it and I have never had to retorque it. Been through probably 10 oil/filter changes since and no problems. Lube the o-rings with clean engine oil when installing, snug it up with the adapter installer, install filter and you're done!

That sounds like the first version of the adaptor that also utilized and adaptor the fit into the oil drain holes as well. There is a second version that supposedly uses a smaller socket and no adaptor.

Yes, I see that LN Engineering now says to use a 26MM socket @ 18 ft lbs for the install, so the installation adapter has changed. Either way I really like the filter adapter and oil/filter changes are a snap. For what it's worth, I also installed the billet anodized magnetic oil drain pan plug mainly because it is stronger, uses a bigger bit and now I don't have to worry about striping out the drain plug.

• 2 weeks later...

Charles at LNE was apologetic about this and sent me a replacement unit. However the replacement unit had the same spacing across the flats: a little over 26.5 mm. Best fit among the sockets at Lowes was a 1-1/16" 6 point deep impact socket. Even their 26 mm 12 point chrome deep socket wouldn't fit over the adapter nut.

JFP, you probably install these adapters regularly. Have you seen this problem crop up? Part number on the box is # 10601. It would appear that all recent production of the unit has this issue.

Unless Charles has a better idea, I'll ship him his replacement back and install mine with the 1-1/16" socket. It only goes on to 18 ft-lbs. so it shouldn't distort the "nut" very much.

• Moderators

Charles at LNE was apologetic about this and sent me a replacement unit. However the replacement unit had the same spacing across the flats: a little over 26.5 mm. Best fit among the sockets at Lowes was a 1-1/16" 6 point deep impact socket. Even their 26 mm 12 point chrome deep socket wouldn't fit over the adapter nut.

JFP, you probably install these adapters regularly. Have you seen this problem crop up? Part number on the box is # 10601. It would appear that all recent production of the unit has this issue.

Unless Charles has a better idea, I'll ship him his replacement back and install mine with the 1-1/16" socket. It only goes on to 18 ft-lbs. so it shouldn't distort the "nut" very much.

We have not seen this problem to date, so it may be recent production. We have also retained a couple of the first style unit's "installation tool" (LN Engineering part number 106-05) that was a separate piece used to install the first style that used solid metal pins that slipped into the oil holes in the filter unit and had a machined head that the socket slipped over. These things were very well made (all steel) and probably cost LN a bit, which is why the discontinued them and went to the hex on the filter adaptor itself. These installation tools still fit the current version spin on adapters, and we tend to use them to install the spin on adapter rather than put a steel tool on the alloy hex. You might want to check fleabay to see if any of these tools are still about, a lot of them were disposed of once the spin on adaptor was installed.

And additional thought would be to ask Charles if he has any of the old tools kicking around (the original style adaptor cannot be installed without one).

I've been thinking it over. My thought now is to wrap the "nut" on the adapter with turns of electrical tape until it is a snug fit on the oversize socket. After installing, remove the tape. Any debris from this would be on the input side of the filter so they wouldn't go anywhere. With only 18 ft.-lbs. required this may get the job done without damage to the adapter.

EDIT Even better. On an oversize 6 point socket, put the tape down each internal flat side until the required snug fit is achieved.

Edited by Dennis Nicholls

Unfortunately this problem may have been going around for some time. I'd guess most owners pay someone to install it for them. JFP uses an alternate installation tool. Who knows what Gordon24's shop used - maybe he should inquire. Most home mechanics probably just do what RD996 did and scrounge around in the toolbox for the next larger size socket.

Edited by Dennis Nicholls

• Moderators

Unfortunately this problem may have been going around for some time. I'd guess most owners pay someone to install it for them. JFP uses an alternate installation tool. Who knows what Gordon24's shop used - maybe he should inquire. Most home mechanics probably just do what RD996 did and scrounge around in the toolbox for the next larger size socket.

All the more reason to track down one of the LN Engineering part number 106-05 first version tools.

It's a one time deal AFAIC. The nut area on mine seemed no worse for wear with the minimal torque they recommend even using a slightly larger socket.

Doing my first filter change soon so hopefully the adapter won't break loose before the filter. Did the ½ turn+ JFP recommended on another thread on the first filter install so we'll see. If the adapter needs re-torqued during every filter change then I could definitely see the need for a tight fitting socket.

Doing my first filter change soon so hopefully the adapter won't break loose before the filter. Did the ½ turn+ JFP recommended on another thread on the first filter install so we'll see. If the adapter needs re-torqued during every filter change then I could definitely see the need for a tight fitting socket.

This was my concern...perhaps needing subsequent re-torqueing. Charles has been kind enough to supply me with a conforming part, so all is now good in my particular situation. It appears that LN goes to lengths to make customers happy.

• Moderators

Normally, once the adaptor is installed and torqued, it really won't come loose when the filter is removed, unless someone goes "postal" when tightening on a new filter. Always remember to smear a dab of oil on the sealing gasket of a new filter before installing.

• 3 months later...