Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Does lack of use, cause oil leaks ?

Recently a friend of mine (Porsche owner) told me I should drive my 2002 996 more often,because not using it for long periods ,will cause oil leaks. Does anyone have any comments about that ? I try to drive it at least once a month, is that ok ?

Oil is meant to be circulated throughout the engine......lack of oil circulation would allow seals to dry and rot (one of the many causes of leaks)......

I am a believer that lack of use can be harmful to an engine.....Cars are built to run....not to sit in a garage....why would anyone deprive themselves of driving a Porsche if they own one????

Drive it more often....to the point of normal operating temperature.........then add 20+ highway miles.....at least once a week.....

I wouldn't be too concerned about leaks due to lack of use. Leaks would be the least of my concern in fact.

By running it once per month the oil will have a signifigant amount of time to leak down from various internal parts and increase the potential for harmful startup wear.

Additionally becasuse the oil is not brought to temperature often enough, there is a chance that more condensation will form inside the crankcase, reducing the useable life of the oil, meaning you should change it more frequently, perhaps even as often as every 6 drives (every 6 months), instead of once per year. Especially in Florida.

The best thing you can do for it is drive it more frequently than once per month. I definately agree with the previous poster, once per week should be minimum, and get it up to temperature & then get the RPMs up.

• Moderators

I’m afraid I cannot agree with this. For years, we often store cars for some of our better customers for several months at a time (some have winter and summer homes), during which they are never started. I can honestly say that I have not seen any indications of prolonged storage causing any oil leaks in cars that were not leaking before being put away. We had a Ferrari (F458 Italia) sit for over two years while the owner was overseas, no leaks, and started right up after turning the engine over into oil pressure. Been a couple of years since it was stored, car is doing fine as a “fine weather” daily driver.

As for “dry starts”, pull either the fuel pump fuse or relay out of the car, spin the engine into oil pressure, put back the fuse/relay, and start it up, letting the engine warm up before driving. We have been doing this for years, never had an issue…..

Edited by JFP in PA

Most Porsche enthusiasts believe that you should run and/or drive a Porsche on a regular basis to keep the engine properly lubricated and keep the seals from drying up. In theory, this would help prevent leaks. In the case of the 996, it should keep the intermediate shaft bearing lubricated, potentially helping to prolong the life of this component or prevent a catastrophic failure. Porsche doesn't release the numbers of failures of M96 engines due to the intermediate shaft bearing, but anecdotally, it seems to happen more often on low-mileage, garage queen cars.

I don't think it will hurt your vehicle to frequently run it and drive it.

I think that all you can do is take in all the opinions and data and make up your own mind. Personally, I feel that it is better to run and drive these cars often.

• Moderators

Most Porsche enthusiasts believe that you should run and/or drive a Porsche on a regular basis to keep the engine properly lubricated and keep the seals from drying up. In theory, this would help prevent leaks. In the case of the 996, it should keep the intermediate shaft bearing lubricated, potentially helping to prolong the life of this component or prevent a catastrophic failure. Porsche doesn't release the numbers of failures of M96 engines due to the intermediate shaft bearing, but anecdotally, it seems to happen more often on low-mileage, garage queen cars.

I don't think it will hurt your vehicle to frequently run it and drive it.

I think that all you can do is take in all the opinions and data and make up your own mind. Personally, I feel that it is better to run and drive these cars often.

All well and good, but some do not have a choice in the matter; my customer's employer sent him on a multi year assignment in Asia and he did not want to leave his Ferrari and Turbo Cab for his two teenage sons to "warm up once in a while" to keep the oil circulating while he was 12 time zones away. Both cars survived prolonged storage without incident, which is more than I can say for his sons..........

Edited by JFP in PA

I’m afraid I cannot agree with this. For years, we often store cars for some of our better customers for several months at a time (some have winter and summer homes), during which they are never started. I can honestly say that I have not seen any indications of prolonged storage causing any oil leaks in cars that were not leaking before being put away. We had a Ferrari (F458 Italia) sit for over two years while the owner was overseas, no leaks, and started right up after turning the engine over into oil pressure. Been a couple of years since it was stored, car is doing fine as a “fine weather” daily driver.

As for “dry starts”, pull either the fuel pump fuse or relay out of the car, spin the engine into oil pressure, put back the fuse/relay, and start it up, letting the engine warm up before driving. We have been doing this for years, never had an issue…..

This is also what we do for our customers who store vehicles over the winter months with the added fuel stabilizer/battery maintainers and fresh oil/filter change before storing, the vehicles are never started to "keep the seals oiled" and prevent oil contamination and unnecessary moisture build up in the exhaust.

The old theory of seals drying out relate to the older type rope/leather seals used ages ago that could dry and cause leaks when the vehicle was returned to service. I've never had to pull a newer type radial seal off the parts shelf to oil it to stop it from drying out.

• 1 year later...

Does anyone have any experience with stop-leak products in a 996. My 2000 Cab with 43,000 miles has developed a minor oil leak from the right camshaft cover. Nothing major just enough to drip occasionally on the garage floor.

Any input on this?

Mv

Can't speak specifically to oil leaks, although I have heard of IMS bearing going bad due to sitting and not being lubricated enough.

I agree with some of the sentiments above and do not believe in garage queens. I am not interested in sculptures or paintings, I buy my cars to drive them. Often.

Edited by xxaarraa

• Moderators

Can't speak specifically to oil leaks, although I have heard of IMS bearing going bad due to sitting and not being lubricated enough.

I agree with some of the sentiments above and do not believe in garage queens. I am not interested in sculptures or paintings, I buy my cars to drive them. Often.

I have never heard of this happening, but I do know that what weight oil you choose can cause a car that has never leaked to do so.

• Moderators

Does anyone have any experience with stop-leak products in a 996. My 2000 Cab with 43,000 miles has developed a minor oil leak from the right camshaft cover. Nothing major just enough to drip occasionally on the garage floor.

Any input on this?

Mv

Don't do it. If you have a leak that is bad enough to cause concern, fix it; but do not throw snake oil band aids at it.......................