Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I would unplug the tilt sensor and alarm siren. At least it would take those items out of the equation. On UK cars with the siren and tilt sensor, you have to switch the ignition to position 1 on the key, before disconnecting the battery. This stops the siren from sounding when you disconnect. It may be worth doing this when unplugging the siren and/or tilt sensor.

I would unplug the tilt sensor and alarm siren. At least it would take those items out of the equation. On UK cars with the siren and tilt sensor, you have to switch the ignition to position 1 on the key, before disconnecting the battery. This stops the siren from sounding when you disconnect. It may be worth doing this when unplugging the siren and/or tilt sensor.

Richard

Thanks for this. Are you saying that any time you disconnect the battery you need to do this. Even if the car is unlocked ?

Also if I do this to eliminate the tilt sensor won't the alarm system not activate properly when I do alarm ?

Regards

Karl

• Moderators

If you want to remove and drive the car further on without the sensor, you have to program the sensor out of the system to avoid interferences caused by an incorrect programming.

Richard

Thanks for this. Are you saying that any time you disconnect the battery you need to do this. Even if the car is unlocked ?

Also if I do this to eliminate the tilt sensor won't the alarm system not activate properly when I do alarm ?

Regards

Karl

That's what we have to do in the UK, and I suspect it will be the same for you.

As RFM says, if you remove them permanently, you would need to get the system re-coded to remove the sensor. Unplugging it will probably mean that you will get a single beep when you lock the car - just like you would if you left a lid open. It will lock and arm the system even if they are unplugged.

Hello - me again

I got my Durametric cable today and figured my troubles were over. Not so. Under Current Fault Codes in showed a yellow circle with an exclamation mark which means an "Information-only fault indicator". This tells me approximately nothing and attempting to erase it also does nothing. Any ideas about what to do next? Does anyone know if it is possible to access the Event Memory?

Update - I have been leaving it in the garage unlocked for the past week. On Thursday it wouldn't start due to a failed battery so I replaced it. Logray was right - some weird things happened when it was on it's last legs. So, new battery and I'm almost back where I was 2 weeks ago - I usually but not always get a horn beep when I lock and double flashing LED which indicates an active alarm input. Also 1 time today when this didn't happen the alarm went off 2 hrs later. The durametric didn't show anything new in the alarm category - just the yellow circle with an exclamation mark which means an "Information-only fault indicator".

The other issue I now have is that the display at the bottom of the analog speedo is blank and I have no odometer. The digital speedo under the tach works and so does the clock to the right. This problem started when I disconnected the battery and had to backfeed through the lighter socket to open the hood (some days prior to the battery failure). I used the durametric to display all LED segments and non lit up under the speedo.

So now I've got 2 issues - can't say I like this trend - any insights on either of them?

Glad to hear the new battery sorted the alarm issue.

Perhaps the bulbs were on their last leg and/or jumping/battery replacement procedure fried them or the cluster LCD.

Shine a bright flashlight on the display to see if in fact the bulb is bad or if it is the display itself. You shoudl be able to see the numbers on the LCD if it is just a bad bulb.

The bulbs are not all that difficult to access and replace. I think you posted another question about that in a different thread.

Search here or I believe pelican parts has a good write up on how to remove the instrument cluster. Be sure to use lots of towels when removign it so you don't scratch your dash or steering wheel.

Response to logray

Actually the battery didn't solve the original problem - my hunch is that it is an intermittent short on the radio wire but I'm going to study the durametric manual and see if there is a way I can isolate the problem with it.

Thank you very much for the flashlight idea - I do have numbers so it will be a cheap fix - do you know if you can get LED's to replace the bulbs?

Response to wvicary

Nobody competent has inspected it but I took the cover off and it looks very clean - there is an unused connector (see attachment) - maybe for bun-warmers?

Cheers!

Ross

post-79537-0-60191400-1335210172_thumb.j

Response to logray

Actually the battery didn't solve the original problem - my hunch is that it is an intermittent short on the radio wire but I'm going to study the durametric manual and see if there is a way I can isolate the problem with it.

Thank you very much for the flashlight idea - I do have numbers so it will be a cheap fix - do you know if you can get LED's to replace the bulbs?

Response to wvicary

Nobody competent has inspected it but I took the cover off and it looks very clean - there is an unused connector (see attachment) - maybe for bun-warmers?

Cheers!

Ross

Is that the alarm module? It's not what I recall and thought it was a black plastic box with a ATO type fuse and multiple connectors.... or am I thinking of the Boxster?