Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

I have a 2011 911S with a shifter that vibrates, trailing throttle in 6th between 2200 RPM and up, irratically, and only when well warmed up. The dealer readjusted the shift cables which cured it for about 800 miles. The car has 7000 miles since new. It will go away when I shift from 6th back to 5th and back to 6th. It also will buzz in 3rd under throttle. it can be felt but less noticably through the rest of the car as well. It seems that the stick shift takes the brunt of it. Thanks!

You can remove these ads by becoming a Contributing Member.

Are you sure with the 'well warmed up' comment..

Try and video it and post up on youtube, then people will see what you are describing

So 100% nothing to do with the balance of your wheels sending a harmonic??

The wheels are in perfect balance. Runs smooth as glass. The shifter simply buzzes. I can hold my finger ring against it and create different tones. Will go away when I shift and come back after a few more shifts. Generally occurs after a couple miles of driving.

I have to believe that the actual source of the vibration is not the shifter itself as the shifter is bolted to the floor and not solidly attached to anything else. I'm afraid you are in for an "Easter Egg Hunt" to find this one..............

Thanks for your reply JFP. I have been looking at the other threads concerning unusual vibrations in other models and there seems to be no shortage. If this is normal then thats fine too, I can live with the annoyance for now but in as much as it is a new car it will become Porsche's problem sooner than later.

I thought an easier solution could be found in this forum. In as much as the car needs to be driven some miles before it starts buzzing, something needs to get heat soaked first. I don't DT the car or drive it roughly so it is hard to imagine that there is an engine problem. My trips are generally 200 miles or more and it's out on the interstate where the vibration begins. As I said in my original thread the buzz can be felt in other parts of the car but it manifests itself in the shifter.

In as much as it is on trailing throttle it is mostly a downhill event but is prevelent when

on and off of the throttle. Depress the clutch and it is gone. Not tire balance.

I have read about the plastic base the shifter rides in, exhaust bracket failures, and other maladies but none associated with this model. I'm honestly thinking that it is something simple like bleeding the clutch or different oil in the tranny. You can feel the gears mesh when you shift, something I did not feel in a new car I drove at another Porsche dealer.

Just looking for some guidance here. Thanks.

First, I would not switch gear oils; this subject has been covered many times and the OEM fill is still the best route. Besides, if the gear box had a problem like a bad bearing or the like, new oil is not going to fix it. It sounds like you have an engine/drive line vibration that is showing up in the shifter. Problem is that you need to try to spot the source either by having someone else drive the car while you crawl around and try to find it, or run the car on a dyno and look for it.

Sometimes these annoying problems are difficult to find and can chew up a lot of shop time in the process simply because there are so many possible candidates..............

Edited by JFP in PA

Thanks JFP. I appreciate the feedback, it's minor right now and tightening the shift cables helped alot. I'll keep us all tuned in .