Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Cup Holder Question for 996

For the 1999-2001 996's has anyone that has the UPPER two din slots tied up with a GPS been able to install the single din OEM cup holder in the lower upper din slot? Or is there too much of an angle for the cups and or interference with shift lever.

I do not see holes in mine as they are all covered in leather. I did order two of the holders that fit on the floor for around fifty for the two.

But I like the clean look of the OEM pop out ones and am just curious if the unit will fit in number three din where number one is the top most din just below the center vents.

I do not see holes in mine as they are all covered in leather. I did order two of the holders that fit on the floor for around fifty for the two.

But I like the clean look of the OEM pop out ones and am just curious if the unit will fit in number three din where number one is the top most din just below the center vents.

Perhaps you can purchase a MY02 Horse shoe with cup holders from some place like Okalohoma Foreign.

I went for www.ultimatecupholders.com 's product

I looked at retrofitting the factory option, but who wants a tall frosty soda up that high where it can easily tip and spill all over the place?

My MY2002 C4S came with the OEM pop-out cup-holder. Before getting the car this was something I wanted after reading the backlash from earlier 996 owners' without it (eg. "How does a $100K car not have a cup holder??!!!"). However, after the fact, I have found that I never use it. The manual transmission requires both hands and the turbo suspension is too tight. Even a Starbucks lid, which almost completely covers the cup, spills drips of coffee when I hit bumps. Just my 2 cents.

"Perhaps you can purchase a MY02 Horse shoe with cup holders from some place like Okalohoma Foreign. " You mean one meant for a 2002 car with the swing out coffee holder? - I would not think it would fit in a 2001 car but I really do not know.

"I went for www.ultimatecupholders.com 's product" are these the ones that go on the floor boards either side of the center hump? If so that is what I ordered for short term.

"I looked at retrofitting the factory option, but who wants a tall frosty soda up that high where it can easily tip and spill all over the place? " - are you referring to just below the center top vent? If so I understand. I am trying to put it in the next to bottom din down by the shifter.

" Even a Starbucks lid, which almost completely covers the cup, spills drips of coffee when I hit bumps. Just my 2 cents." - Don't get me going on Starbucks cups they are the worst engineered disposable cup out there. I have no issue with them being good for the environment but the darn lids spill coffee like a geyser!!! I am serious you hit a bump in any car with any cup holder and out it comes at least an inch high of coffee in the air. it helps to use the stirring stick which has a flat surface surrounding the top of the stick that engages with the drinking hole and pretty much keeps it from leaking in normal driving mode. Can't speak for it working when you are driving spirit-idly.

I have both of my ultimate cup holders on the psngr side. I've used them for about 5 years now. Stuff never tips out of them and I have a lowered car. If there is a drink in there and it spills it does so on the floor mat, which I can then just spray with carpet cleaner and scrub. It helps that I have black floor mats.

As opposed to hot or cold sticky fluid spilling out all over my dash, shifter, or center console (and electronics). Oh and some of the in dash holders block vents, which is another negative.

Until the ultimates come in I am using a hand made cup holder that I have mounted in the Center Console. I used about a 2 inch thick piece of black foam and cut two circles in it conforming to the travel mugs we use.

It works ok for now if you do not mind being a contortionist. At least I know the mug is not going to flip over. I would say it is probably 2 percent better than a roll of duct tape on the floor. The biggest issue is the center console door only opens so far and you can not tip it out of the way.

Do two ultimates make it crowded for the passenger? I bought a knockoff of the plastic thingy that slides between the console and the passenger seat and the better half made me get it out of there. Oh well it worked good for the driver :)

I am thinking no one has ever tried putting the OEM cup holder in the lower console location as of yet. Maybe I will be the first one to try - .or. when the Ultimates come in maybe I will be satisfied with them.

i have a '99 c2 and managed to pick up the assembly for a later 996 that fits around the radio and climate control etc but with one crucial difference, it had a slideout cup tray with it that slides out between the air vents and the climate control. The top airvents are flat on the bottom and slightly smaller. I havent fitted it yet but looks like it will work just fine.

" later 996 that fits around the radio and climate control etc" So it is the swing out style that does not even tie up a din slot.

I never thought it would fit in the earlier model. I guess you will find out :)

If it does fit it would be the perfect solution for folks wanting to go the double din radio head route.

• 3 weeks later...

"I have both of my ultimate cup holders on the psngr side."

I can't see how to get both in on pass side and not be in the way of the passenger.

I do notice it is much easier to grab the coffee from pass side when in drivers seat.,

"I am thinking no one has ever tried putting the OEM cup holder in the lower console location as of yet. Maybe I will be the first one to try - .or. when the Ultimates come in maybe I will be satisfied with them."

I ordered the OEM cup holder and can attest that it will not work in the lower console in fact it is too tall for the cubby that the CD holder is typically in.

It also is at a bad angle and cups are right in the way of everything.

Back to the ultimates. :)

The ultimates both fit one in front of the other, starting from the very corner of the seat.

The holders themselves dont get in the way of the psngr unless you have a tall drink in both holders.