Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Those cool red Porsche calipers...

Hi!

I have a 2001 996 c4. I really like the look of the Porsches that have those red Porsche brake calibers (like the photo below). I don't know anything about brakes but I am wondering if, purely for cosmetic reasons, it is possible to install those red calibers... Where do you get them? What needs to be swapped out? How much are they? I saw some kits that allow you to paint existing calipers. Anyone taken that route?

Thanks!!

post-80164-0-08139800-1337456712.jpg

Edited by boldstep

• Admin

The brake specs are the same. 996 C2's got black calipers and C4's got silver calipers. GT3 and Turbo got red calipers.

You can paint them yourself or buy Boxster S red calipers - as they are the same specs as C2 and C4.

The C4S got the same red calipers as the turbo too. They are larger than the C2/C4 calipers.

There are many people who have painted their calipers with good results. You can also send them out and have them professionally painted.

The C4S got the same red calipers as the turbo too. They are larger than the C2/C4 calipers.

There are many people who have painted their calipers with good results. You can also send them out and have them professionally painted.

Thank you for this great info! Do you know the names of companies that paints them?

I don't know off the top of my head, but you should be able to find some by searching on google.

One other important point - Porsche doesnt use a decal or sticker for the "PORSCHE" lettering on the caliper. It's painted on with a stencil, and then the entire thing is clear coated. I would insist on this procedure if you have somebody paint your calipers. Stickers eventually peel off.

Here's one that I found where you can remove your calipers and send them in to be refinished in the color of your choice:

http://www.gmgracing.com/porsche_brakes.shtml

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see the information/link for caliper painting service.

I haven't used them, so I can't recommend their work, but this is a good example of what I was talking about.

Edited by Dennis C
  • Upvote 1

Hey, that's my car you posted there! Lol. My friend Maurice and I painted my calipers one afternoon using the G2 caliper paint kit (it's a brush on kit). It brushes on, and then in a couple hours, it dries perfectly smooth like nail polish. Before it totally dried, I applied the PORSCHE decal lettering and then clear coated over it to protect the decal. It's been years now, and they still look awesome.... Honestly, it looks as good or better than the OEM reds...Not bad for $50. Lol.

1iobpd.jpg

bfmdjd.jpg

• Upvote 1

Oh, and btw, we didn't need to remove my calipers to do the job either. Just jack the car up on 4 jackstands, remove wheels and clean the calipers really well first (with the supplied brake cleaner and toothbrush). Then, make a small hole thru a garbage bag and stretch it over the caliper so that only the caliper shows and the rotor and everything else is covered by the garbage bag. This way, you won't get paint on the rotors. Use painters tape to cover any other areas on the caliper that you don't want to paint like the bleeder bolts, and voila...you are ready to paint. The rest is easy. Paint all 4 calipers with the brush on paint and then wait a couple hours. Apply the Porsche decals and then spray 2 thin coats of duplicolor clear coat. Put your wheels back on and you're done!

Here's one that I found where you can remove your calipers and send them in to be refinished in the color of your choice:

http://www.gmgracing...he_brakes.shtml

Scroll to the bottom of the page and you'll see the information/link for caliper painting service.

I haven't used them, so I can't recommend their work, but this is a good example of what I was talking about.

Just sent them an email to find out the cost. THANKS!

• Upvote 1

Hey, that's my car you posted there! Lol. My friend Maurice and I painted my calipers one afternoon using the G2 caliper paint kit (it's a brush on kit). It brushes on, and then in a couple hours, it dries perfectly smooth like nail polish. Before it totally dried, I applied the PORSCHE decal lettering and then clear coated over it to protect the decal. It's been years now, and they still look awesome.... Honestly, it looks as good or better than the OEM reds...Not bad for $50. Lol.

1iobpd.jpg

bfmdjd.jpg

That is a riot! I guess it should be flattering to have your car be THE example of nice red calipers. :thumbup: Really nice job and thanks for the directions. Not sure if I will do them myself or send them out... I first want to find out the cost of sending them out. Thanks a bunch!

http://www.gmgracing...he_brakes.shtml

Here's the reply from GMG Racing:

"We use a high temp paint- 2 stage to paint the calipers.

We do not have a DYI instructions although removal and install is straight

forward we do recommend professional install if you are not familiar with

this operation.

Cost is $850.00 for the set."

Considering the ease with which the calipers can be painted the $850.00 quote to repaint them once they have been removed is ludicrous.

The materials cost less than $50. Cleaning them thoroughly and prepping the calipers for paint should take a professional less than an hour. Applying two stage paint with a spray gun should take about 15 minutes per coat for all four calipers.

So, for less than 2 hours of labor, that works out to about $400 per hour. Nice work if you can get it. :o

Regards, Maurice.

I painted mine with at $20 kit from pep boys. It was a "Duplicolor" red caliper paint kit that included the caliper cleaner and enough paint to do several coats on all four calipers. The kit comes with a crappy brush, but I bought a new brush that made the job easier.

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforums/996-forum/254971-weekend-mod-red-calipers-pics.html

I got the Porsche lettering decals on ebay, and added some clearcoat over them for protection.

I think the cost depends on what they do to the calipers. If they media blast them down to bare metal and then paint them, then I could see the cost. That's pretty labor intensive. I know I saw one place that does them for ~$500. I don't recall which place that was.

That being said, it looks like people are getting pretty good results with the DIY kits! That might not be a bad way to go! You could always try it, and if you're not happy, send them out to be professionally done.

• 6 months later...

For those PCA members, an earlier this year PANORAMA magazine had article explaining how to professionally DIY for calipers any color desired. Instructions included baking the first painting of the calipers in the oven. This procedures obviously includes removing them and the car out of commision for 2 days.