Welcome to RennTech.org Community, Guest

There are many great features available to you once you register at RennTech.org
You are free to view posts here, but you must log in to reply to existing posts, or to start your own new topic. Like most online communities, there are costs involved to maintain a site like this - so we encourage our members to donate. All donations go to the costs operating and maintaining this site. We prefer that guests take part in our community and we offer a lot in return to those willing to join our corner of the Porsche world. This site is 99 percent member supported (less than 1 percent comes from advertising) - so please consider an annual donation to keep this site running.

Here are some of the features available - once you register at RennTech.org

• View Classified Ads
  • DIY Tutorials
  • Porsche TSB Listings (limited)
  • VIN Decoder
  • Special Offers
  • OBD II P-Codes
  • Paint Codes
  • Registry
  • Videos System
  • View Reviews
  • and get rid of this welcome message

It takes just a few minutes to register, and it's FREE

Contributing Members also get these additional benefits:
(you become a Contributing Member by donating money to the operation of this site)

• No ads - advertisements are removed
  • Access the Contributors Only Forum
  • Contributing Members Only Downloads
  • Send attachments with PMs
  • All image/file storage limits are substantially increased for all Contributing Members
  • Option Codes Lookup
  • VIN Option Lookups (limited)

Need Help strange resonace

I have a 2000 S and it starts to make a strange high resonance. The noise does not vary with the rpm but with the speed. It comes from the rear, it’s a kind of rotation noise and It´s so strong that I virtually cant wear the engine. When the car is stopped I can accelerate at top and the engine as no strange noises. The noise is strong at 60-70 km/h, 100 and 120, and when decelerating, even whit the engine at idle, 800 rpm, the sound continues at that speeds. Any idea? Thanks

• 4 weeks later...
  • Moderators

Sorry, just noticed this question. Did you get it sorted out?

It could be a worn CV joint? It is common for the rubber boots protecting the CV joint to fail and grit/grime to get into the joint.

Get under the car (safely) and see if your CV boots are intact.

It could also be a wheel bearing. Does the noise get worse when you corner?

• 10 months later...

I see that this thread as well as many of the posts on this board are quite old, I wonder if many are using this.

I had what sounds like a similar issue, after driving for a while between say 40 and 60 mph I would get a very noticeable resonance or whistle. it was kind of like an "A" note, fifth fret on the high E string for you guitar players out there. This went on for a while and it was driving me nuts as I could not tell where it was coming from. Searching forums showed that I was not the only one hearing this. My first clue was when I noticed that the sound went away every time I touched the brakes. My brakes were not worn out but they were a bit squealy and the rotors were not great. I think the PO replaced pads and did not replace or resurface the rotors as there was a noticeable lip on the outer circumference of each one. So last Saturday I replaced all pads and rotors and voila- resonant whistle is GONE!